Xm Radio

I posted this last night, but I don't see it today, so here goes again.

I'm about to purchase a 2008 RX350. My Dealer charges $995 for the Factory XM Radio option. Does anyone have the factory XM radio, and if so, how do you like it? I have a portable XM radio, but thought having the Factory XM Radio in the car might be worthwhile. My question is, is it worth the price versus the portable unit I already use? Pros...Cons????

Thanks!!

I am also having this consideration. I just took delivery of a 2008 RX350 and miss my XM radio. I am not sure I want to shell out that much money for the dealer-installed setup. I did a search and found this web page of a guy in San Francisco who installed a Roady (I have a $20 Roady-2 that he addresses as well) in an RX330. He says the antenna works well in the cargo compartment - we'll see. I am a little further north on the Oregon coast, so I am not sure it will work.

His instructions: http://yoren.org/xmradio/lexus.html

• 2 months later...

I have a Roady 2 I use in two vehicles. I cannot imagine getting a signal with the antenna installed inside the vehicle - although I have never tried. I just bought an RX300 (2003) and was hoping to find someone with a great idea for locating the receiver.

I'm about to purchase a 2008 RX350. My Dealer charges $995 for the Factory XM Radio option. Does anyone have the factory XM radio, and if so, how do you like it? I have a portable XM radio, but thought having the Factory XM Radio in the car might be worthwhile. My question is, is it worth the price versus the portable unit I already use? Pros...Cons????

Thanks!!

I have had experience with the portable and the dealer installed versions. I went with the dealer install in my 2008 RX350. I also chose Sirius over XM, which is available on the 2008 model. I chose Sirius because they offer a lifetime subscription and I chose the dealer install version because I liked the ease of use through the Nav system, also I just liked having clean lines inside the car. My charges for dealer install before delivery was 800.00

The only thing I don't like is the text is limited to 10 characters, but that is the case on anything being played through the system.

Thanks!!

I have had experience with the portable and the dealer installed versions. I went with the dealer install in my 2008 RX350. I also chose Sirius over XM, which is available on the 2008 model. I chose Sirius because they offer a lifetime subscription and I chose the dealer install version because I liked the ease of use through the Nav system, also I just liked having clean lines inside the car. My charges for dealer install before delivery was 800.00

The only thing I don't like is the text is limited to 10 characters, but that is the case on anything being played through the system.

I have a 2008 RX350 which I took delivery on about 3 weeks ago. I had the dealer (Highland Park Lexus) install the XM radio, for which he charged $500. A bit high, but I was charged almost $400, 4 1/2f years ago when a local mobile audio dealer installed an aftermarket XM on my 2003 Nissan Murano. The Lexus dealer installed the clamshell antenna in the center of the roof, just forward of the rear hatch door. The only complaint I have is that the wire from the claimshell is exposed before it enters the rubber gasket of the rear hatch. I saw that several dealers e-Bay were selling antenna tail covers, and for $5.00 I ordered one. This should cover the antenna wire. It has adhesive on the bottom and sticks to the roof. In terms of reception, I have absolutely no complaints. The radio performs as well, if not better, as my prior XM on the Nissan, and I can see what songs and performers are playing by pressing the audio button on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a dealer install the XM Vais unit (their factory option at the time) and the antenna on the right side of the dash close to the window just to the left of the corner speaker. So far it has pretty good signal and very few drop outs.