Spark Plug Removal - Piece Of Cake

artbuc

99 RX300 w/78K miles

Already had throttle body removed to service IACV (please read my other thread) so I thought I would check-out the infamous 3 plugs next to firewall. Middle and driver's side completely accessible with throttle body removed. On passenger side, I removed two screws holding ACIS actuator bracket so I could swing it out of the way. Then removed PCV valve/hose. This provided easy access.

As expected, spark plugs looked great. Sharp edges and perfect gap. Threads were getting a little corroded so I dressed them up with anti-sieze and re-installed. Figure I will replace at 120k. By then I will likely need to service IACV again so little to no wasted effort.

Many posts re the difficulty of removing these plugs, but believe me it just isn't that hard.

99 RX300 w/78K miles

Already had throttle body removed to service IACV (please read my other thread) so I thought I would check-out the infamous 3 plugs next to firewall. Middle and driver's side completely accessible with throttle body removed. On passenger side, I removed two screws holding ACIS actuator bracket so I could swing it out of the way. Then removed PCV valve/hose. This provided easy access.

As expected, spark plugs looked great. Sharp edges and perfect gap. Threads were getting a little corroded so I dressed them up with anti-sieze and re-installed. Figure I will replace at 120k. By then I will likely need to service IACV again so little to no wasted effort.

Many posts re the difficulty of removing these plugs, but believe me it just isn't that hard.

Hmm lets see you removed the throttle body, removed the ACIS actuator bracket and removed the PCV hose. THEN accessing the spark plugs wasnt very hard!! :blink:

99 RX300 w/78K miles

Hmm lets see you removed the throttle body, removed the ACIS actuator bracket and removed the PCV hose. THEN accessing the spark plugs wasnt very hard!! :blink:

Point taken. I should have said, if you already have the throttle body removed for other reasons you can easily get two. And, it only takes a few minutes to remove ACIS bracket/PCV valve&hose to get to third.

• 4 months later...
99 RX300 w/78K miles

Point taken. I should have said, if you already have the throttle body removed for other reasons you can easily get two. And, it only takes a few minutes to remove ACIS bracket/PCV valve&hose to get to third.

I followed the instructions on this site http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rx300how2/index.html

and it worked out fine for me. Took about 1.5 hours total as those back 3 are a bit of a pain.

I didn't totally take off the PVC hose, just unplugged it on side that is next to the left side plug.

It helped alot as I didn't want to have to remove a whole lotta parts and I didn't have to following these steps.

Boy a busy day, cleaning IACV throttle body, spark plug replacement and oil change.

:cheers: Glad to be done.