Lexus Dealer Charges $1200 For 60,000 Tuneup

Scott Gordon

Just a little rant but hey I'm Scotish

Now I realize there is a lot of overhead at a lexus dealership, and I also know what WC fields said about suckers, and fools and their money.

Now I do not mean to insult those of you with gobs of disposable income ( actually I admire your ability to make money just not at my expense) but in my world $1200 is a substancial sum. The dealership was kind enough to give me a detailed list of stuff that goes on in this 60,000 mi service. Other then looking over the car the actual work involves fluid and plug changing and some other little odds and ends like a new gas cap gasket is about what you get for $1200. :chairshot:

I bought a case of type 4 tranny fluid,at the local toyota dealer (it was actually cheaper this time then two years ago) and mobile one synthetic gear oil, and brought it to my local guy who flushed the tranny, diffrential , breaks , powersteering , and cooling system cost to me $200.00 labor plus my parts.or a little less then $300.

My machanic will take necesary parts from engine(it does sound involved to get to the plugs), and while hes at it clean the throttle body and will use the parts I supply for another $100.00 in labor.

He has done this for me before (fluid flushing) for both this car and my 1993 gs300 (185,000mi and going great)

I would like to say that this forum and the kind folks on it who provide direction/advice like what fluids to use etc. have kept my cars running strong at well below dealer cost Thank you all. :cheers:

The hour rate is nothing new here. My old Lexus dealer (in MA) was $120 for a DINO oil change and $299 for a coolant flush. Then again your $1,200 is the same for a 90K too. It is nothing new and per say, not much. Even gone to a Ford dealer or a dodge or GM dealer. Same thing. I know diesel owners (since I owner one) that pay $800 for a starter alone. So that makes $1,200 for a complete service not bad!

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me exactly what is covered in a 60k service? I'm in San Jose area and dealer wants $1200 for 60k service. I went to independent shop and they're advertising $330; however, there's no mention of replacing air filter or fuel filter.

Regards,

Dave W

• 4 weeks later...
Just a little rant but hey I'm Scotish

Now I realize there is a lot of overhead at a lexus dealership, and I also know what WC fields said about suckers, and fools and their money.

Now I do not mean to insult those of you with gobs of disposable income ( actually I admire your ability to make money just not at my expense) but in my world $1200 is a substancial sum. The dealership was kind enough to give me a detailed list of stuff that goes on in this 60,000 mi service. Other then looking over the car the actual work involves fluid and plug changing and some other little odds and ends like a new gas cap gasket is about what you get for $1200. :chairshot:

I bought a case of type 4 tranny fluid,at the local toyota dealer (it was actually cheaper this time then two years ago) and mobile one synthetic gear oil, and brought it to my local guy who flushed the tranny, diffrential , breaks , powersteering , and cooling system cost to me $200.00 labor plus my parts.or a little less then $300.

My machanic will take necesary parts from engine(it does sound involved to get to the plugs), and while hes at it clean the throttle body and will use the parts I supply for another $100.00 in labor.

He has done this for me before (fluid flushing) for both this car and my 1993 gs300 (185,000mi and going great)

I would like to say that this forum and the kind folks on it who provide direction/advice like what fluids to use etc. have kept my cars running strong at well below dealer cost Thank you all. :cheers: