An Unscientific Poll - Software Upgrade

1lola1

Well, I'm scheduled to take in my '03 for the software upgrade. I'm still nervous about doing it. I'm happy to take all opinions (from those who have had it done, and those who have not). Also, just to be clear, I do love my car and I don't mean to whine, but I have had more difficulties than I ever expected. I mean really, who expects a broken moon roof on a brand new car?

Does the hesitation bother you? if not, then I wouldnt get the transmission update.

As for the moonroof, what was broken about it?

The moonroof clanked and clunked horribly when opened and closed. I took the car to them 3 times. Once they said it just had to be lubed. The next time, they told me it was pollen. This is not my first moonroof. I don't know why I bought the pollen story. After the third visit, the service manager heard it and said the moonroof was broken the whole time. I thought it was fixed, but now today it's dragging and the rubber looks damaged. I also cannot stand the outrageously hard rumbling and shaking when I first start the car. It's ridiculous. They told me they don't have a fix for that. The cup holder up front hasn't worked properly since day one. Nothing's stuck in it. It's just tempermental. There's like a space of 2 centimeters that you have to touch for it to open. And of course, there's the windshield that still doesn't clear when it rains - solvents have been used. You see, my ex is on his 5th lexus and I really can't recall him having any problems. My 2000 had problems, but all in all it was okay. All I can say about the pick-up is that my poor mom's neck has been snapped more times in this car because of the way it jerks and jumps. I guess I won't bother with the software upgrade, but I have to go see them about this car I bought. :(

All I can say about the pick-up is that my poor mom's neck has been snapped more times in this car because of the way it jerks and jumps.

By all means get the software upgrade.....you can't make it any worse than it is now!

Remember this old adage: You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

The jarring is an effect of the throttle by wire system, all Lexus have this. My dad's 98 LS400 has it, my ES300 has it, the 04 LS430 I drove today had it. You learn to adapt by not jumping on the pedal, you ease into it. The tranny fix wont help that. All cars I've driven with an electronic throttle have that jarring.

As for your other problems, I dont know what to tell you, mine doesnt do any of those things. Its smooth as silk when it starts up, the cupholders pop out perfect, and the windshield clears just fine. I have a little rattle in the moonroof but its the rubber seal, a little grease on the seal quiets it right down.

Have you tried a different brand of wiper, have you tried a different Lexus dealer?

All cars I've driven with an electronic throttle have that jarring.

If that statement is true than how come after driving an 2004 Audi A8L I couldn't replicate this jarring or hesitation that Lexus's exhibit? I could push the accelerator down either fast or slow and this transmission downshifted and found the proper gear with ease! I didn't have to concentrate on doing everything correctly.....this car just did it! I will NEVER be convinced that it's not possible to have a Lexus "drive by wire" system follow the input of a driver without nursing it along. I'm sure that this technology will be completely corrected in future models. IMO.

All cars I've driven with an electronic throttle have that jarring.

If that statement is true than how come after driving an 2004 Audi A8L I couldn't replicate this jarring or hesitation that Lexus's exhibit? I could push the accelerator down either fast or slow and this transmission downshifted and found the proper gear with ease! I didn't have to concentrate on doing everything correctly.....this car just did it! I will NEVER be convinced that it's not possible to have a Lexus "drive by wire" system follow the input of a driver without nursing it along. I'm sure that this technology will be completely corrected in future models. IMO.

I rode in the A8L yesterday but didnt drive it so I can't comment on that. However I did drive the 2004 LS430 and the 745Li and BOTH had the jarring from the drive by wire system. I met my dad for lunch and we went and test drove some cars for him. Probably just an example of different systems at work, are you sure the A8 even has the drive by wire system?