Air Leaking With New Tire, On Stock Non-chrome Rims

i_doc

i just had new yokohama avid v4s mounted on my gs. and its repeated leaked air down to 10 psi within a few days..

i brought it back to the tire shop, few times already, and they dismounted cleaned the lips, and sealed it with some gunk, and again it leaked in a few days..

no damage on the wheels.

the funny thing is that 6 months ago my friend with a older 1997 lexus es was having the same problem with her new yoko tires... it kept on leaking, and they repeatedly dismounted/remounted, and no resulution still.. very annoying!! also no lip damage on the rims..

the tire shop says its the rims... but why would it not leak with the old Dunlop tires for the past 3 yrs, and the next day leaks with the new tires???? if its the rim problem, wouldn't it leak even with the old tires???

or is it a problem with yokohamas on Lexuses???

anyone with experienced the same thing? any input would be helpful..

• 1 month later...

i just had new yokohama avid v4s mounted on my gs. and its repeated leaked air down to 10 psi within a few days..

i brought it back to the tire shop, few times already, and they dismounted cleaned the lips, and sealed it with some gunk, and again it leaked in a few days..

no damage on the wheels.

the funny thing is that 6 months ago my friend with a older 1997 lexus es was having the same problem with her new yoko tires... it kept on leaking, and they repeatedly dismounted/remounted, and no resulution still.. very annoying!! also no lip damage on the rims..

the tire shop says its the rims... but why would it not leak with the old Dunlop tires for the past 3 yrs, and the next day leaks with the new tires???? if its the rim problem, wouldn't it leak even with the old tires???

I took delivery of an LS460 in June (May build). When I purchased the car I added chrome wheels, which were installed the day of delivery. The next morning, I checked the tire pressure on all 4, with my tire gauge--all 4 were at 33psi, per mfg specs (18" wheels). Looks like everything is fine, but I do make it a habit to manually check my tires every month (always in the morning, after the car has sat overnight, so as to get a good cold tire pressure). When the car was a month old, I checked and all tires were low. I added air to all 4 and decided they must not have seated the new tires well--or something. But, in the past month, I have checked the tires each Sunday morning--and the cold tire pressure (using the same air gauge)has decreased each week, & in every tire. After the last check, I aired all 4 up again! The loss was 2.5 lbs in 3 tires and 3 lbs in tire four. The spare's pressure has remained constant. I am in Dallas, TX, and it is hot here this time of the year. That being said, usually at the first cold snap each year I would loose tire pressure in my prior Lexus models with the tire monitors--I knew, because of the monitor. Have any of you ever had this happen or do you have an explanation?

• 2 weeks later...

no damage on the wheels.

Dont know if I can help but I have a 2000 GS300 with chromed, aluminum alloy rims. Two continually lost air pressure after a few years. My tire dealer has resealed them and buffed the rims but they continue to leak. Tire dealer claims the chrome flakes around seal area and then leaks. Said he has seen the same problem with other chromed rims like this. After 6 years the chrome is peeling around the air valves. Answer. Don't ever buy these type of rims again. Sorry cant be of more help.

• 3 weeks later...

One way to find out where the air is coming from is to take the rim and tire off the vehicle and paint it with a soap/water solution. You may want to add some glycerin to the mix. You have a very slow leak, and it will take time for the bubble(s) to form where the air is leaking out.