Clutch Problems

psi4mymitsu

I went to a used car dealership today to drive a IS300.It seemed like it was in good shape but when I drove it it seemed like the clutch was worn out.The pedal had to be let out all the way befor it engaged and disengaged as soon as you pressed on it.That seemed weird to me cause the car only has 40k on it.I never have owned an IS300 so I dont know how long you usually can get out of a stock clutch.

Clutch life depends on the driver more than the car. Some "ride" the clutch more than others. It's a self adjusting clutch, so I'm sure it is near the end of it's wear. If you know how to change the clutch and throw out bearing yourself will save you mucho dinero.

Yeah I know some peoples clutch will wear much more based on there driving style.I just thought that the previous owner must have relly beat on it to wear the clutch out so fast.This is the first time I ever drove a IS300 so its hard to say if I like the way they perform with that as a example.Im no stranger to a manual I own a 95 Eclipse GSX with a upgraded turbo and a ACT clutch so I dont think it was me.

40k and clutch is gone. yeah, it could be from getting beat on, it could be from just bad clutch operating habits. some times smaller people with weak or short legs sittng at stop lights for a long time could wear out a clutch quick also. the easy way to find out is to look at the u-joints and check the rear tire wells for rubber pellets. They usually end up behind the plastic under the body just inside the bumper.

But go with your gut. Got a bad feeling, walk away. there are more out there for sale. How much are they asking for it btw?