Rx300 Keeps Stalling (worse After Cleaning Iavc)

egl

well i cleaned the iavc for my sister's car (only took off the black plastic piece and sprayed the inlet leading to the iavc till the magnetic rod spinned freely)

cleaned the throttle body while i was at it

at first, the car started and drove fine

just the normal hesitation from cleaning the throttle body at first

i noticed the idle was acting up a little

the next day, it just kept stalling

it would fire it up, but then the idle would drop and it'd stall

i would have to keep my throttle on the gas till the car got up to temp, then it would be fine

i was going to tighten up the throttle cable and raise the idle to see if that would help but couldnt find the screw

anyone have any ideas?

im stumped

thanks

The ecu controls the idle ., it sounds like it is still sticking and needs some more cleaning by removing it and cleaning it.

really?

i sprayed a generous amount of cleaner on it until the rod spun freely

it was very hard to move around before

i managed to strip a screw while removing the black cover/plug leading to the IAVC

is it possible that its not aligned correctly, leading to this problem?

also, would replacing the washer on the rod the wrong way cause a problem too?

The ecu controls the idle ., it sounds like it is still sticking and needs some more cleaning by removing it and cleaning it.

really?

i sprayed a generous amount of cleaner on it until the rod spun freely

it was very hard to move around before

i managed to strip a screw while removing the black cover/plug leading to the IAVC

is it possible that its not aligned correctly, leading to this problem?

also, would replacing the washer on the rod the wrong way cause a problem too?

anymore ideas???

It sounds like you might have an air leak in there somewhere. Did you reassemble everything tight? Any cracks in the ducting? Did you get all the vacuum lines on correctly? A little air leak in the intake can cause all sorts of sporadic idling/starting issues.

It sounds like you might have an air leak in there somewhere. Did you reassemble everything tight? Any cracks in the ducting? Did you get all the vacuum lines on correctly? A little air leak in the intake can cause all sorts of sporadic idling/starting issues.

i thought it might be a vacuum leak

from what i can remember, the black plastic piece in front of the iavc was tight but im not sure if it was aligned properly

it should be as there is a small chance of error

all other air lines were properly clamped and tightened

The reason I mention it is because I've seen posts where people have the same symptoms and it ended up being a hairline crack in the bellows ducting or a hose that they couldn't see until they squeezed it and it opened.

It could also be a ton of other things... it could be the ICV still sticking. It could be a MAF that's losing it's mind. It could be a clogged fuel filter. It could be a cracked intake that seals up upon thermo expansion when it comes up to temperature. It could be problems with the injectors. Again, it could be a lot of things. With a 'gremlin' like that, you really need to find a talented mechanic who can diagnose your problem, and hopefully get it right the first time.

damn, sounds like a nightmare

well ill disassemble everything

anyone know what type of screw i need for the black plastic part in front of the iavc?

guess im going to have to drill and tap one of the screws

hopefully i didnt overtorque any parts and cause a crack

im pretty sure lexus wouldn't produce such inferior parts that it would crack under such light pressure

hopefully it isnt anything serious cause that would suck big time

weird thing was all parts were working properly before i attempted the cleaning

now its just gone downhill

damn, sounds like a nightmare

well ill disassemble everything

anyone know what type of screw i need for the black plastic part in front of the iavc?

guess im going to have to drill and tap one of the screws

hopefully i didnt overtorque any parts and cause a crack

im pretty sure lexus wouldn't produce such inferior parts that it would crack under such light pressure

hopefully it isnt anything serious cause that would suck big time

weird thing was all parts were working properly before i attempted the cleaning

now its just gone downhill

Before you go ahead to do all sorts of things, just first reset the EFI fuse in the fusebox. Pull it out for about 30 secs and put back with engine and all accessories off. Having cleaned the IACV its now freer and lighter thus reset would help the ECM recalculate the present condition.