Oil Change

Jhall143

I found the instructions and pictures on how to change the oil on the RX-330. They seemed very similar to the RX-300 but when i got under the car, I could not find a way from the top or bottom to get to the filter. I could put my whole hand on it from the bottom but my neighbor, who has every tool known to man, and I tried fro about an hour and finally gave up. We changed the oil and not the filter and unless we can figure it out, I will have to submit to the dealer or similar oil change place. Any suggestions on what tool someone has used, would be great. The filter was so tight, there was no way to loosen it by hand and it is recessed with equipment to the right and left of it, making it very hard to have any leverage!

I haven't yet changed the oil on my RX350 yet but have changed oil and filters in a variety of vehicles - some of them with filters in absurd places.

Since the filter has to come out and go back perpendicular to the filter mount, the logical way to attack it is from the end. One of my trick tools is a filter wrench that has a cam. When a ratchet is attached, turning it tightens (closes) two opposing wide "fingers" that grip harder on the filter as necessary and in proportion to the amount of effort applied to the ratchet.

If there is about 1/2 inch of clearance around the filter and a spot where a handle can protrude a chain-type pipe wrench can be used. The chain goes around the filter, attaches to the handle, and considerable force can be used. It only needs to break the filter seal so does not have to move much. There are strap-type filter removers that work the same way and require less clearance but are more likely to slip.

I haven't yet changed the oil on my RX350 yet but have changed oil and filters in a variety of vehicles - some of them with filters in absurd places.

Since the filter has to come out and go back perpendicular to the filter mount, the logical way to attack it is from the end. One of my trick tools is a filter wrench that has a cam. When a ratchet is attached, turning it tightens (closes) two opposing wide "fingers" that grip harder on the filter as necessary and in proportion to the amount of effort applied to the ratchet.

If there is about 1/2 inch of clearance around the filter and a spot where a handle can protrude a chain-type pipe wrench can be used. The chain goes around the filter, attaches to the handle, and considerable force can be used. It only needs to break the filter seal so does not have to move much. There are strap-type filter removers that work the same way and require less clearance but are more likely to slip.

Thank you. It seems pretty crazy. I will give that a try.

My Harley Davidson end cap oil filter wrench (with the cam sensor cut out) fits perfectly over the end Lexus/Toyota oil filter. It is metal and takes a 3/8 ratchet. Take your oil filter to a Harley dealer and they should have on for $10-12. I have a shorty ratchet that fits up there nicely. Never a leak. But the rubber gasket on the toyota filters is so thin you have to crank the filter back on to prevent any leaks. Good luck.

My Harley Davidson end cap oil filter wrench (with the cam sensor cut out) fits perfectly over the end Lexus/Toyota oil filter. It is metal and takes a 3/8 ratchet. Take your oil filter to a Harley dealer and they should have on for $10-12. I have a shorty ratchet that fits up there nicely. Never a leak. But the rubber gasket on the toyota filters is so thin you have to crank the filter back on to prevent any leaks. Good luck.

Great advice! Thank you very much!