Help Help

NikolinaJ

I have a problem with my ac. When the summer started I noticed that my ac isn't blowing cold so I went and rechargded it (R-12) and it worked fine for two days. When it stoped blowing cold light started blinking. I took it to the shop and they told me that I have to replace the compressor which is about $1600.00. Now before I do that can somebody tell me how can I be sure that is what the problem is? Is there a way to check because it just doesn't make any sense to me that it worked for two days and then it stops, if compressor was bad it wouldn't work at all right? It did that last summer too but I wouldn't fix it because it was the end of the summer and I thought it was just empty. Also If I have to replace compressor do I have to replace ac accumulator, expansion device and condenser too or can I just replace the compressor. Thanks :unsure:

I would get a second opinion on the compressor and $1600 is very pricey and comparable to a Lexus Dealer cost...I bought my compressor and accumulator on E-Bay for less than $400.00 rebuilt with a warranty.. If it is the compressor you will have to replace the accumulator and not the condensor and expansion valve unless the compressor self destructed internally. In which case there would be junk throughout the system. If that was the case you more than likely would have heard it. In the end it was not my compressor but the high side hose underneath the compressor had a leak which we found after removing the old compressor. You may also want to look into converting to R 134 if you replace the compressor and accumulator.

I would get a second opinion on the compressor and $1600 is very pricey and comparable to a Lexus Dealer cost...I bought my compressor and accumulator on E-Bay for less than $400.00 rebuilt with a warranty.. If it is the compressor you will have to replace the accumulator and not the condensor and expansion valve unless the compressor self destructed internally. In which case there would be junk throughout the system. If that was the case you more than likely would have heard it. In the end it was not my compressor but the high side hose underneath the compressor had a leak which we found after removing the old compressor. You may also want to look into converting to R 134 if you replace the compressor and accumulator.

Lexus of Memphis told me that my 91 LS400 was so old they wouldn't replace any one component, only ENTIRE A/C system, because the stress on the other older ones would cause them to fail in short order. I paid $150 to convert it to R-134 and it has worked fine for the past week now.

Find an independent A/C service shop and start by asking them for a quote to convert to R-134. Anything over ~$200 then keep looking.