Vais Technology Ipod Adapter

I posted this on another forum with no response.

Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the VAIS Ipod adapter. My local dealer is doing installs of this device and I wanted to hear any feedback. Also, if you've performed the install yourself, how difficult a task is it?

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the VAIS Ipod adapter. My local dealer is doing installs of this device and I wanted to hear any feedback. Also, if you've performed the install yourself, how difficult a task is it?

Thanks

Wait, I'm confused. So, connecting iPod to an AUX input is not going to do it? You need this VAIS device? What is AUX there for anyway than?

Thanks

Wait, I'm confused. So, connecting iPod to an AUX input is not going to do it? You need this VAIS device? What is AUX there for anyway than?

The AUX input works fine. The VAIS device allows one to control their ipod from the head unit audio screen. One will be able to see the song information and select the song that they want from their ipod library directly from the touch screen. The device also charges the ipod. It connects via the dock port. I guess no one has used it judging by the response. I wanted some feedback before I had it installed.

I have not used the VAIS product so I can not provide you with any feedback. I did notice they have advertised on some other web sites and the product looks like it should work. Perhaps VAIS can provide you with a list of references. I have used a similar product from DICE Electronics on two previously owned cars (both BMW's). I have a known history with the company and have already purchased the kit for my IS350 w/o ML. The kit is going to be installed next Friday. I will post an update if you would like.

Regards,

NHman

I have not used the VAIS product so I can not provide you with any feedback. I did notice they have advertised on some other web sites and the product looks like it should work. Perhaps VAIS can provide you with a list of references. I have used a similar product from DICE Electronics on two previously owned cars (both BMW's). I have a known history with the company and have already purchased the kit for my IS350 w/o ML. The kit is going to be installed next Friday. I will post an update if you would like.

Regards,

NHman

Yes, and update would be much appreciated.

Can someone clearify this for me:

Without using any other adapters, how does one control an iPod connected through AUX input?

And what do you see on the screen when AUX source is selected?

Can you change tracks using the steering-mounted audio controls?

Thanks!

Regards,

NHman

Yes, and update would be much appreciated.

Can someone clearify this for me:

Without using any other adapters, how does one control an iPod connected through AUX input?

And what do you see on the screen when AUX source is selected?

Can you change tracks using the steering-mounted audio controls?

Thanks!

My brother in law has it in his; I plan on getting mine installed in the next couple of weeks. To answer your questions:

You control an iPod connected to the AUX jack right on the iPod. The AUX jack provides sound input only, you see nothing on the screen other than the fact that you're using the AUX input:). The only steering wheel controls that work are, of course, the volume ones, you cannot change tracks or in fact do anything at all on the iPod or any other device.

All the AUX jack really is is a way to turn your car stereo in to one giant set of headphones :) Sound quality is just as good, but it's something of a pain to fiddle with your iPod while driving - really, you don't want to.

The Vais kit is a true docking integration solution. You'll see the track listings, playlists, song title, and other information that you normally would see on your iPod on the head unit screen - it looks pretty much like a cd/XM station listing. You can also change tracks, etc with the steering wheel controls. Finally, it also charges your iPod.

If you are planning on staying with iPod brand players (and assuming Apple doesn't change the dock interface in the future) then this kit is the way to go - you can plug it in and throw it in your glove box or center console, wherever you choose to have them install the dock connector. My brother in laws setup works great, sounds great, and convinced me to shell out the bucks for one :)

I can't speak specifically about the VAIS iPod Adapter, but I can tell you that I used a VAIS product to connect my Sirius radio directly into the audio system of my old RX 330. VAIS makes excellent (albeit pricey) products - my product worked exactly as advertised and always performed flawlessly. I think if you purchase from them you will not be disappointed.

I can't speak specifically about the VAIS iPod Adapter, but I can tell you that I used a VAIS product to connect my Sirius radio directly into the audio system of my old RX 330. VAIS makes excellent (albeit pricey) products - my product worked exactly as advertised and always performed flawlessly. I think if you purchase from them you will not be disappointed.

I am interested in getting the ipod adapter because it displays your songs on the navigation screen but i am curios about the costs of this? does anyone know how much it cost to get it installed?

Thanks.

I am interested in getting the ipod adapter because it displays your songs on the navigation screen but i am curios about the costs of this? does anyone know how much it cost to get it installed?

Thanks.

Thanks for all the info. This is just the kind of feedback for which I was searching.

The AUX question has been answered. It's not a real integration.

If I remember correctly, my dealer is asking $600 for the device and installation. Installation will take several hours. I think I will setup an appointment soon.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have one in my RX330 and I would say dont waste your money. It does not integrate cleanly and forces you to navigate only via playlists you create (i.e. not smart playlists) and then only the first 9 (if I recall correctly), and each can only have (again I think) 99 songs in it. If its not in your playlist, you cant play it. It does have a "dumb" mode where you basically use the device as a line in and then use the iPod to control playback - and this is the mode I leave it in because the playlist mode (which allows control through the navigation screen) is a pain in the butt.

Just my 2c before you (IMHO) waste you money.

A-