Looking To Join The Lexus Club!

Jonnyd

Hey guys!! I have just recently totalled my cts which I had owned and am now looking into a differ car. I have some questions about the Lexus if you guys wouldnt mind answeing some for me :cheers:

To start I was looking in other threads and saw that if I get any I should get a 02 - 05 IS300.

How is the tuneability on these cars. I want to be able to push the car to around 600 whp. What would I need to be able to do to accomplish this??

WOuld an engine swap be needed with a supra?? What size turbo would I need to perform this?? I would be going stand alone engine management definately with custom tuning.

As for the suspension, how would you guys rate it compared to other rides you have driven.

If you were to recommend this car, why would you? Has anyone encountered any problems with certain years?? Any specifics??

I am looking to go pretty big, if I do get the IS 300. I would just like to pick some of the knowledge from you experienced riders of the IS. I like the car just from a look standpoint, and it seems that it is a tuneable car...but what would I mainly need to do to hit that 600+ whp range.

Hope to be looking forward to joining you guys soon possibly!!! :D

okay, I 've read this post several times and figured I was not going to respond at first. But as I thought about it I concluded what the hell. It's only opinions right? So lets get the facts down and then I give you my opinion about the rest.

If you get an IS 300, yeah, get an 02 on up. although there are slight differences on the 04-05 also. But they are small, such as auto door locks, and power seat memory settings. The 00-01 has what I equate to cheesey plastic and cheaper material on the seats, and a few other small issues. But mechanically speaking they are all great cars.

The car is way tunable. There is a ton of aftermarket support. You don't have to do an engine swap to get to 600 hp. The JZ motor out of the Supra a really nice motor, and if you want to go that far you can. Again, these motors have been around long enough that most paths have already been travelled so you have alot of info at your finger tips.

600 rwhp is going to take alot of work though. But if you know what your doing with a wrench then I think you could be there without much trouble. There are guys on the MyIS forum that are easily pushing 600 hp and more.

Now heres where we get subjective. The suspension stock in my opinion is sufficient for the car the way it comes. But once you start adding power then I think you need to lower it an inch or so, and stiffen it up. Tien, Tekico, Greddy, they all have nice upgrades that are proven.

Now heres why I chose the IS 300. On one end of the spectrum you have what I would call focused sports cars. On the other end is the luxury line. I wanted quick but I want some toys with it and it had to be life style freindly. The Mustang is fast. Looks good to. But the interior is crap. No HID, manual AC, etc. etc.( Plus it's a 2 door.) BMW, in my opinion if you get one it has to be the M series. M3 is 2 door again, and not to mention pricey to buy, and even more to work on. Corvette is way to focused to live in that car, and Mercedes Benz C230 is a 4 banger, C350 is a 6 cyl. and I thought the only other real contender until you look at aftermarket support. there really isn't much of one at all if any. And what there is is big dollars again. Then there is the WRX, and Lancer Evo options. Again fast cars, but no nice nice to come with them. Volkswagens are way to slow, and front wheel drive. Acrura is also front wheel drive and doesn't handle as nice. It feels like a way bigger car. The Accord is Fugly, and Dodge is well, lets just not go there. Nissan has the Altima and Maxima. No and No. How much else is there? I think the IS 300 is a perfect car for my lifestyle. Quick and nimble. Not to big, and not cramped. Nice toys, and fit and finish is awsome. the interior is just way nice. I even like the IS 300 better than the new IS 350/250. The new IS is bigger, and seems to be more luxury than sport to me. Now it seems like a luxury car that has sporty characteristics, where as the IS 300 is a sports car with Luxury characteristics. I just like that combo better.