Transmission Not Shifting Please Help

jimmys

I have 1992 ls 400. 2 days ago when turned head lights on. reverse indicator light in instrument cluster also lit up. then car went to first gear and stuck there. won't shift even rev up to 4000 rpm. when I turn the lights off orange light "R" went off and car shift fine. NOw I can't drive it at night cause if I turn lights on it won't shift. any one can suggest where to look for fix? I tried disconnecting whole instrument cluster and still same thing. may be short some where else?

As far as I know, there are several wires located in the trunk located near the hinge that will short out due to opening and closing the trunk all these years. They cause all kinds of weird electric problems; the ones you described are classic. Do a search on "trunk wire" and you should get many threads. You may also bring it to a shop and tell the technicians to check wires in the trunk.

Such a a great forum. I had the same symptoms on my 91 LS400 and found two broken wires under the trunk hinge. My car again has 4 gears instead of two.

Thanks, friends.

Tom

flanker271 you was so right. I found two broken wires by hinge trunk. w/blk and yellow. I joined em and now car runs like charm again. This is great forum. Oh dealer was not happy when I cancel my appointment lol.