91' Ls400 Pearl White Paint

jkalu47

I need to have some body work done and couple sections of the car painted but the pearl paint is too expensive. The guy said I could go with another type of white paint and pay about $350. But he said that if I wanted the pearl paint, it would cost in the neighborhood of $750. I also went to another body shop and they said the exact same thing. Any suggestions? Is there another color similar to the pearl paint so I could just get a couple secions painted without having to paint the whole car?

Sure, if you're comfortable with the car being two different colors. Any difference in paint will be very obvious once its on the car.

Depending on how bad the damage is, I'd probably leave it damaged rather than paint it with the wrong color paint.

It sounds to me like they are apprehensive about trying to match the pearl, so selling you an obviously incorrect paint colour means you'll be unable to complain. Find a good body shop. Any shop that would intentionally take your money to produce a mis-matched repair is not worth dealing with.

The pearl is an additive and is used only sparingly to achieve the effect. There is simply no way the paint costs that much more.

It sounds to me like they are apprehensive about trying to match the pearl, so selling you an obviously incorrect paint colour means you'll be unable to complain. Find a good body shop. Any shop that would intentionally take your money to produce a mis-matched repair is not worth dealing with.

The pearl is an additive and is used only sparingly to achieve the effect. There is simply no way the paint costs that much more.

naw I don' think its like that. They said they would have no problem ordering the pearl paint but they just said it was up to me to decide. I went to 2 different body shops and they both said pearl paint was a lot more expensive.

I may just be better off changing the color of the car to another white. I'm thinking about Crystal white or Opal white. Which one do you guys think looks the best? Are there any others?

Then all you have to do is find a white that you like. Lexus has a non-pearlescent white on the GS series - that one will probably look good on the LS.

naw I don' think its like that. They said they would have no problem ordering the pearl paint but they just said it was up to me to decide. I went to 2 different body shops and they both said pearl paint was a lot more expensive.

I may just be better off changing the color of the car to another white. I'm thinking about Crystal white or Opal white. Which one do you guys think looks the best? Are there any others?

So...you say the pearl is to expensive to repair...but you can afford to repaint the entire car? an LS400 is a large car...every time i have been somewhere to inqire about a repaint on my ES250 (not even a color change), they quoted in the neighborhood of $2,000-$3,000.... :whistles: and it is a MUCH smaller car (think 1990 Camry).

if you are being quoted $750 for pearl white, you are getting taken, that should only be like $300 for enough paint to do minimal repairs, if even that. $750 for paint only is what i was quoted to do my ENTIRE Es250 in Black Jade Metallic Pearl (dark green-black pearl pant). the rest was labor...paint isnt that exensive, if you go to the dealer i gauruntee they will sell you all the paint you need for much cheaper than that. then you can store the paint and save up for the repairs to be proper, just remember to keep it IN THE HOUSE, not in the basement/non climate controlled garage, shed, etc. for ordinary paint this is fine, but it will go bad under other than ideal conditions eventually. your lexus body shop should tell you this.

Depending on where you live i may or may not know someone at a lexus/toyota dealer near you...id be happ to help you. if i dont, i can find a place for you to get your paint and bypass the middle man. dont forget that in addition to your paint, a 3rd party body shop may charge you extra for the overhead for the courier etc, to get the paint to their door.

I live in Raleigh, North Carolina. Wow, it would be great if you could get someone to help me with this. I think i'm going to go to the lexus dealership today and see how much the paint is.

PM User nc211, he should have the contact info of one of my guys in DFW who can get you a decent price on some paint. but with hazmat shipping, it will cost just as much prolly to get it where you are...and it would definately be easier.

Sorry about this off-topic:

I just found out from Lexus dealers incl. Toyota that color code 180 flint grey for my 91 LS400 was stopped in production. Does anyone know its replacement ?

TIA

I don't know how big section you painting. I know little about painting. I did my lexus rear door and quater panel. pear is tricoat. I used dupont brand. pint white paint, pint pearl and clear coat. this is how I did. first painted white then coat of pear. then clear coat. It shouldn't be that expensive. about $150 material cost.

I don't know how big section you painting. I know little about painting. I did my lexus rear door and quater panel. pear is tricoat. I used dupont brand. pint white paint, pint pearl and clear coat. this is how I did. first painted white then coat of pear. then clear coat. It shouldn't be that expensive. about $150 material cost.

I need to paint both the back and front bumpers (white part only) and the front right side. When you painted it, did the paint match well?......and where did you buy the products?