Climate Control Lcd Started Working

DanW

Some of you may find this amusing....

Like most LS400s, my climate contol lcd has been blank since I bought the car.

Today I decided to go home for lunch and when I got in my car, the dash was super hot. I started the car and turned on the AC, and I noticed the LCD was working! So I set the temp, and set the clock. I about burned my fingers on the buttons to set the clock...the dash was super hot!! I forgot to put up the sunshade when I got to work this morning....

So after driving about 5-10 minutes the car started to cool down inside, and the lcd started fading. Once the car had cooled down, the lcd was gone again.

Upon leaving work today, my dash wasn't quite as hot, but by looking closely and sheilding it from glare, I could see the lcd was on very faintly, but only for a minute or so until it cooled off.

It really doesn't make much sense to me, but it works when its super hot....has anyone else witnessed this???

Some of you may find this amusing....

Like most LS400s, my climate contol lcd has been blank since I bought the car.

Today I decided to go home for lunch and when I got in my car, the dash was super hot. I started the car and turned on the AC, and I noticed the LCD was working! So I set the temp, and set the clock. I about burned my fingers on the buttons to set the clock...the dash was super hot!! I forgot to put up the sunshade when I got to work this morning....

So after driving about 5-10 minutes the car started to cool down inside, and the lcd started fading. Once the car had cooled down, the lcd was gone again.

Upon leaving work today, my dash wasn't quite as hot, but by looking closely and sheilding it from glare, I could see the lcd was on very faintly, but only for a minute or so until it cooled off.

It really doesn't make much sense to me, but it works when its super hot....has anyone else witnessed this???

I had a similar situation with my previous car, a 1992 SC400. The inside rear-view mirror only worked when it was very hot inside the car, and when it cooled down, the LCD became dark again.

Lexus has learned that their flux and solder combo was not quite correct in previous years. Heat would make conductivity and cold would shut it down after a few years of cold and hot. That is why you have to send your boards to the wizards to suck and change it out along with subgrade capacitors. Some guys on here do it themselves and others, less experienced, send them out. Not sure of the solder ratio but some of these guys know.