Seal Issues On 2004 Rx330 Rear Spoiler

fgray

I just bought this car about a week ago. I noticed the seal is coming off from around the spoiler on the rear hatch. Does anyoen else have this problem, or even a solution? It is anything to worry about?

You definitely want to keep your exterior rubber or silicone seals intact and in good shape in order to lessen your chances of having water leak into the interior of the vehicle. Water leaks over a significant period of time can and will cause multiple problems from electrical issues to rust to headliner and carpet stains....

• 2 months later...
You definitely want to keep your exterior rubber or silicone seals intact and in good shape in order to lessen your chances of having water leak into the interior of the vehicle. Water leaks over a significant period of time can and will cause multiple problems from electrical issues to rust to headliner and carpet stains....

I'm not sure I follow. I have an 04 RX330 where the seal appears to be falling out from under the spoiler in a couple of places. After seeing this post I looked at the situation more closely. With the rear door open it looks like the weather stripping around the opening on the body is in tact and mates with the hatch door on the inside of the seam for the spoiler. I simply don't see how the spoiler seal would contribute to water leakage on the inside. Please explain?

Chris

I didn't specifically say that a faulty RX spoiler screw seal would immediately cause water leakage inside the vehicle. What I said was simply that if you have exterior rubber or silicone seals that are breaking down on ANY vehicle, you are eventually going to be dealing with water leaks somewhere on the vehicle. Whether that water leak makes its way inside the vehicle depends upon where the leak is located, how gravity pulls the leaking water through, and where the leaking water eventually winds up. Every vehicle is different, and every water leaks behaves in different ways. The moral of the story is to replace your faulty seals whenever they pop up. I've learned from experience over the years with failures like leaking seals around high-mounted brake light housings.

So if you discover a leaking exterior seal where you know that gravity will allow the water to run in, simply replace it....

I didn't specifically say that a faulty RX spoiler screw seal would immediately cause water leakage inside the vehicle. What I said was simply that if you have exterior rubber or silicone seals that are breaking down on ANY vehicle, you are eventually going to be dealing with water leaks somewhere on the vehicle. Whether that water leak makes its way inside the vehicle depends upon where the leak is located, how gravity pulls the leaking water through, and where the leaking water eventually winds up. Every vehicle is different, and every water leaks behaves in different ways. The moral of the story is to replace your faulty seals whenever they pop up. I've learned from experience over the years with failures like leaking seals around high-mounted brake light housings.

So if you discover a leaking exterior seal where you know that gravity will allow the water to run in, simply replace it....

Thanks for the quick response and clarification. I thought I may have picked up on something critical to the installation of the spoiler that would contribute to leakage. I do intend to correct the spoiler seal situation but wanted to be sure there wasn't something related to this that would raise my sense of urgency regarding the repair. Thanks again for the clarification.

Chris