Simple Car Wash On Weekends

Hello,

I just got a new IS 350 (its obsidian black). Looks fantastic. I'm not sure if the dealer waxed it, but I think they did before I got it. I just got a couple days ago and even now I see some dirt and I see some break dust. I'll probably wait until next weekend because I want to figure out how to do this correctly before I just ruin my paint.

I am a complete noob. I have NEVER washed a car in my life.... only because I have never owned one that was good enough for hand washing.

I plan on using like I have read just soap and water... then rinsing it with just plain water.

1) Is that ok?

2) Is that good enough to wash it?

3) What soap should I use?

4) Should both the soapy water & rinse water be hot?

5) Is it ok to get the car washed at the dealer if I wanted to? (Only cause I get free washes anytime I want there)

The washing should get me by for a good 3-4 weeks (once a week). Then I will start the long process of how to get it really cleaned which looks extrememly complicated!! I have never heard of all those materials, how to use them. but, I do want to learn.

Sorry for the ridiculous questions.

Jeff.

I would not let the dealer wash it personally. I've not found anybody at a dealer who knows one iota about proper car washing, let alone detailing.

Its really not as complicated as it looks. Read around in here and on www.autopia.org about wash technique. Use a good quality carwash soap, good quality mitts & towels, wash from the top down and in straight lines, you'll be fine.

I would not let the dealer wash it personally. I've not found anybody at a dealer who knows one iota about proper car washing, let alone detailing.

Its really not as complicated as it looks. Read around in here and on www.autopia.org about wash technique. Use a good quality carwash soap, good quality mitts & towels, wash from the top down and in straight lines, you'll be fine.

I use ONR every week and I love it.

WOW! U got the hardest Color to maintain nice when clean though! First I would invest in a duster, you can find these at any local Auto parts(Same model as the ones they re-sale you for a higher price at the Dealer)

But If u really want to put that extra love into it, then when you're at the auto parts store buy some Meguiar's Car Soap, By no means Use your Kitchen Soap it'll ruin your paint with in time! Also buy a specialty sponge and a drying towel(I Use "THe Absorber") You will trutly enjoy the experience! Remember to Wax it every six months!

Be VERY careful with dusters. I use one but only for right after the car is washed before I put it away in the garage. They WILL cause marring if anything substantial is on the paint surface.

I also would not use "The Absorber", it is pretty abrasive. You're better off with a good quality waffle weave MF towel.