Aftermarket Exhaust For Sc400

I was looking around and not many companies have full exhaust systems for the SC400. I noticed HKS is one of the few. Has anyone tried their exhaust or what has anyone done to custom make your own? I was thinking of fabbing one up and wanted to get some insight on what others did and why they liked it? Give me some insight guys and gals!!

I was thinking of running true duals from the cats back with either Magnaflow mufflers or Apexi WS universal mufflers and no resonators. Either that or running a larger single center section maybe 2.5in and then back into say 2.25 rear sections.

Let me know what you guys have done! Thanks~!

I was looking around and not many companies have full exhaust systems for the SC400. I noticed HKS is one of the few. Has anyone tried their exhaust or what has anyone done to custom make your own? I was thinking of fabbing one up and wanted to get some insight on what others did and why they liked it? Give me some insight guys and gals!!

I was thinking of running true duals from the cats back with either Magnaflow mufflers or Apexi WS universal mufflers and no resonators. Either that or running a larger single center section maybe 2.5in and then back into say 2.25 rear sections.

It sounds like your thinking down the right path.

There's really no reason to get a entire exhaust system when it can easily be fabbed. I went with Magnaflow's hi-flow oval (look/fit like stock) polished, stainless steel mufflers with Magnaflow tips. I had the resonators just forward of the old mufflers completely removed, with the pipes replaced with 2.25" piping, straightened out as much as possible fitting around the drive train. I plan on replacing the forward two catalytic converters with hi-flow Magnaflows, as well as replacing the center cat with another hi-flow Magnaflow cat. Currently the sound is SWEET (rich, deep V8 sound, but not obnoxious), and I noticed a boost in HP for sure. Once I replace the cats with hi-flowers, I expect even more of a boost. If I remember correctly, the Magnaflow site and others will not list the correct mufflers for Lexus, but as long as it fits certain size parameters, they'll work. I believe that mine are 14" x 20" offset 2.25" in/out.

You can read Jibbby's thread on his mods (Results of SC Mods) where we discuss (in excruciating detail) all the exhaust options out there. He found that the 2.25" works best for a non-turbo SC400, bit starting with 2.5" from the cats back to the 2-in-1 center cat, the transitioning to 2.25" is my plan. If you go too large it will effect back pressure, while getting as small as feasible will help accelerate the airflow (Bernoulli's principal).

Hope this helps...Good luck.

It sounds like your thinking down the right path.

There's really no reason to get a entire exhaust system when it can easily be fabbed. I went with Magnaflow's hi-flow oval (look/fit like stock) polished, stainless steel mufflers with Magnaflow tips. I had the resonators just forward of the old mufflers completely removed, with the pipes replaced with 2.25" piping, straightened out as much as possible fitting around the drive train. I plan on replacing the forward two catalytic converters with hi-flow Magnaflows, as well as replacing the center cat with another hi-flow Magnaflow cat. Currently the sound is SWEET (rich, deep V8 sound, but not obnoxious), and I noticed a boost in HP for sure. Once I replace the cats with hi-flowers, I expect even more of a boost. If I remember correctly, the Magnaflow site and others will not list the correct mufflers for Lexus, but as long as it fits certain size parameters, they'll work. I believe that mine are 14" x 20" offset 2.25" in/out.

You can read Jibbby's thread on his mods (Results of SC Mods) where we discuss (in excruciating detail) all the exhaust options out there. He found that the 2.25" works best for a non-turbo SC400, bit starting with 2.5" from the cats back to the 2-in-1 center cat, the transitioning to 2.25" is my plan. If you go too large it will effect back pressure, while getting as small as feasible will help accelerate the airflow (Bernoulli's principal).

Hope this helps...Good luck.

Awesome!! That's exactly what I wanted to hear!! You dont by chance have any sound clips do you? I was really leaning towards fabrication. I have always had really good luck in the past with all my other vehicles fabbing something for less than a full aftermarket system. Thanks for your insight!!! I really appreciate it!!

i have a 98 sc400 and thinking about getting dual magnaflows part #14829. will any cats fit these or is there a specific model # that you have and use. also what about the 2.25 " piping? waht model #. basically i need the parts and model # that you use for your exhaust so i can get the same setup.

i have a 98 sc400 and thinking about getting dual magnaflows part #14829. will any cats fit these or is there a specific model # that you have and use. also what about the 2.25 " piping? waht model #. basically i need the parts and model # that you use for your exhaust so i can get the same setup.

Well those are the same mufflers that I was looking at. As far as the cats go, I was looking at FLOWMONSTER, no not a typo......thats the name of them. As far as the piping. You just get that made at the muffler shop, try for mandrel bends on the pipe instead of pinch or curl bends as those dont flow as smoothly.