Newbe ?

I have got a question about my new 2007 Lexus IS 250awd. Hopefully you guys here can answer this for me. Question is: In the winter time I like to start my car and let it warm up before I get in it. What’s to stop a thief from getting into my car running and just driving away, even if I have the key fob with me? The dealer told me that the car would die after a ¼ mile of not seeing the key fob, I didn’t like that answer cause all they need is a couple of feet and they can run it into a tree. Anyway last night I thought that I would try out and see what happens. I started my car as normal, went into the house, put the key fob on the table. Went back outside to my running car and got in and drove it away, I went 2 miles from my house with no issues just some warning light that says something about not seeing the key, what’s the deal. Is lexus that retarded that they didn’t think of this. My brother in-law has a new Nissan and when you do the same thing the car doesn’t let you move the shifter if it doesn’t see the key fob. Is my car missing something? I’d like to leave my car running and not worry about someone taking it from my driveway, you can’t even lock the doors while the car is running with the remote. Any suggestions???

I dont really have an answer to that because i havent really looked into it, i never even thought of that. But i like to let my car warm up a bit in the morning aswell, usually for about 2 maybe 3 mins. I just sit in my car while it warms up and mess around with the nav..But thats a good question, id like to know the answer aswell.