Tired Of Those Slow Takeoffs?

If you think a stock SC4 is quick off the line then you obviously have had little experience with truly fast cars. They are all dogs off the line without the conversion and will not lay rubber no matter how you decide to beat on it. Sure a chirp, but not anything like it could be.

my .02

Well said.....

The stock SC's are very slow from a stand still but the topend is decent especially when the ETC button is pressed... I will give them that much respect in stock form... They kick just abit when pressed over 2500 rpms....

It's kind of shame that LEXUS would call this car a SPORTS COUPE 400 with it's limited performance....It should really be called a LUXURY COUPE 400... However, if that were the case LEXUS would then have to rename the LS400's...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey JIBBY I just recently purchased a silver 1997 SC400 and I have been following all of these wonderful posts!!! good info. Im also in the Los Angeles area, actually I reside in Torrance.. do you have a personal contact number that you can send me so I can call and get some advise and ask questions about my SC400 in your free time. Since were are in the same area, I would like to check your car out as well... let me know.. you can email your number to burkley_J@yahoo.com Thanks!!! im ready to get the mods going! B)

m_02f40cb00abf443cc5d42e3a1dcc2640.jpg

Yeah, you can ask me any question.... I know these SC400's in and out...Just PM me...

Any shops I know of are located here in Santa Monica where I live, or in Down Town LA... Depends on what you want to do...

Yeah, you can ask me any question.... I know these SC400's in and out...Just PM me...

Any shops I know of are located here in Santa Monica where I live, or in Down Town LA... Depends on what you want to do...

Sounds good, for some reason the forum wont let me PM you, keep getting an Error message... ?? anyway I plan on doing everything with the intake/electronic upgrades/all the exhaust upgrades/ torque converter/ piggy back/maybe beefed up trans if needed... then go from there... what is your current HP & torque on your car up to date with out Nos? How much gain could I expect to get after those mods? I think my 97 SC4 stock has i think 260hp & 270 tq, so could I gain an extra 50hp or more & if more how much roughly? and is your car still able to pass smog or do you have a hook up? Also do you plan on going Turbo or SC? just curious, If I decided to get a bodykit (Auto Couture) do you have a paint shop that you would recommend going to? and would it be best just to paint the whole car, so it wouldnt be new paint on kit and 10 yr old paint on car? and how much would that run? ... Thanks in advance!!!!! =) sorry for all the questions.....

Sounds good, for some reason the forum wont let me PM you, keep getting an Error message... ?? anyway I plan on doing everything with the intake/electronic upgrades/all the exhaust upgrades/ torque converter/ piggy back/maybe beefed up trans if needed... then go from there... what is your current HP & torque on your car up to date with out Nos? How much gain could I expect to get after those mods? I think my 97 SC4 stock has i think 260hp & 270 tq, so could I gain an extra 50hp or more & if more how much roughly? and is your car still able to pass smog or do you have a hook up? Also do you plan on going Turbo or SC? just curious, If I decided to get a bodykit (Auto Couture) do you have a paint shop that you would recommend going to? and would it be best just to paint the whole car, so it wouldnt be new paint on kit and 10 yr old paint on car? and how much would that run? ... Thanks in advance!!!!! =) sorry for all the questions.....

Well, "JC auto paint" re-did my paint job for $1000 and that included removing dents and dings..A real professional paint job no orange peal and a dealer like paint job look that has lasted... They are located in Near Down Town LA.. I need to find there number it's been years since my paint work... For your electronic upgrades and ECU piggy and tuning you can go to "Spark Racing" 562-691-4779... Headers and exhaust I know of two places one hear in Santa Monica on Lincoln Blvd and in Down Town LA.. Again I need to find the numbers for you if you're interested...

Aside from all that my car puts out a little over 350bhp and around 500 foot pounds of Torque, but I really wouldn't recommend going with the NOS...It does wear out the engine prematurely and breaks parts under the jolt... I would recomment going with an M90 Eaton supercharger kit especially made to fit the SC400's...I recently saw one complete kit for $1500 on Ebay and that included EVERYTHING except installation and tuning... Those little M90 Eatons produce 100hp once installed and that is something your stock parts and tranny can handle with no problem... I would go that rought if I were you... Infact, I almost considered buying that Ebay M90 for $1500 and then keeping my NOS in addition but I am pretty much set on turbo charging at this point for more power....

I hope this info help.... I have a real informative thread on this website called "result of mods" just use the search function and read...You will get more ideas on what you want to do off that thread...

Thanks Jibby!!! for the Headers and exhaust I need the number to where you got your mods, if you find it. and with all these mods you can still pass smog? I am still trying to be smog legal... do you think you can pass smog with the supercharger too? A little over 350hp and around 500 lbs is with NOS or without NOS? I will go check out your other thread as well. Thanks again

I am at 210WHP without the nos and 300whp with nos.... WHP is different then HP or BHP... My torque numbers are what really increased, and torque wins races....

I would say your 97 SC400 in stock form would probably dyno now at 185whp and or 250bhp if your lucky. Remember the car loses power over the years so it will not dyno like new as advertised when it was first rolled off the assembly block...Electrical, and other stuff, etc.. wears out and you lose some horse power over the years...

With headers you can kiss your smog checks good bye... The rest of the exhaust mods, highflowing cats, mufflers, and larger exhaust piping will still allow you too pass smog... Headers mess with the O2 sensor reads and throws the check engine light... With the S&S Headers I cannot pass smog..

With nos you can pass smog, and with a supercharger I dought you will pass smog, but I am not %100 sure... Depends on the supercharger, tuning and how it set up... I have never seen a custom turbo on a Lexus pass smog either...

Exhaust mods (except headers), torque converter, and intake mods will not effect your smogs...

I am at 210WHP without the nos and 300whp with nos.... WHP is different then HP or BHP... My torque numbers are what really increased, and torque wins races....

I would say your 97 SC400 in stock form would probably dyno now at 185whp and or 250bhp if your lucky. Remember the car loses power over the years so it will not dyno like new as advertised when it was first rolled off the assembly block...Electrical, and other stuff, etc.. wears out and you lose some horse power over the years...

With headers you can kiss your smog checks good bye... The rest of the exhaust mods, highflowing cats, mufflers, and larger exhaust piping will still allow you too pass smog... Headers mess with the O2 sensor reads and throws the check engine light... With the S&S Headers I cannot pass smog..

With nos you can pass smog, and with a supercharger I dought you will pass smog, but I am not %100 sure... Depends on the supercharger, tuning and how it set up... I have never seen a custom turbo on a Lexus pass smog either...

Exhaust mods (except headers), torque converter, and intake mods will not effect your smogs...

COOL!!!!! Apexi piggy back ECU installed is cool for passing smog too?

• 2 weeks later...

Jibby, you were talking about buying a used torque converter off ebay, couldn't you just use your old one and have that re-calibrated? And does this mod work as good in the 300s as it does on the 400s? My buddy's 01 Grand Prix Gt takes me off the line all the time and its frustrating >.>

Yes you can have your stock torque converter calibrated...Lextreme.com does it for like $300...

The same effect will occure with the SC300, however the 3.0L inline six cilinder motor that comes in the 300's will not have the same base engine torque as the 4.0L V8 SC400's.. Your take offs will be quicker but I highly dought you will be spinning those rears.... I probably would not waste the money on a torque converter stall rate change on an SC300...

• 6 months later...