Power Steering Problem

aggiecarpenter

I just took my 96 in to the shop for a brake pads and they told me that my rack needed to be replaced (worn inner seals or something?) along with the boots on the tie rod ends?. They quoted me $1100 to replace the rack. I asked if I could wait awhile and they said yes but I need to keep my eye on the power steering fluid level. I have not seen any leaks and I told the mechanic that. He said that the PS fluid will collect in the boots. I do not know much about the mechanics of the power steering system and was wondering if anybody has had issues like this. Does $1100 to replace the rack, change some type of boots, and realign the car sound reasonable? Is it necessary? Please advise.

I just took my 96 in to the shop for a brake pads and they told me that my rack needed to be replaced (worn inner seals or something?) along with the boots on the tie rod ends?. They quoted me $1100 to replace the rack. I asked if I could wait awhile and they said yes but I need to keep my eye on the power steering fluid level. I have not seen any leaks and I told the mechanic that. He said that the PS fluid will collect in the boots. I do not know much about the mechanics of the power steering system and was wondering if anybody has had issues like this. Does $1100 to replace the rack, change some type of boots, and realign the car sound reasonable? Is it necessary? Please advise.

My personal opinion? I think your mechanic is trying to take you for a ride! And not to show you how good of a job he has done! As far as I know, power steering leaks will always show, not only on Lexus , but on every car in general! So the PS fluid is able to escape the sealed rack, because of worn seals.. but it's not able to escape the boot where it gets collected? And show signs of leakage? Switch mechanic, you'll be saving yourself alot of money, orrrr have your car checked elsewhere. :cheers: