Suggestions On Extended Warranty

Kamz

Hello,

My wife's 04 RX330 is nearing the end of the factory warranty. It has about 30K miles. I am looking for a good extended warranty and would like to get some suggestions.

Lexus is offering an extended warranty (7 yrs/ 75K miles) for approximately $1800 (after a $200 off coupon). I am yet to call warranydirect.com and the other warranty companies. I understand inclusionary and exclusionary type warranties etc., and that these things come with a bunch of complications and not covered items.

Any suggestions? good experiences?

Thanks

Kamz

I have the Mercury Platinum extended warranty on my rx300. It is a zero dollar deductible and is bumper to bumper coverage. You can buy it online, but I purchased mine from my credit union in case there was ever an issue of coverage. This is the 3rd car I have purchased the warranty on and I have been very pleased. You service at Lexus, the cost to you is usually zero, or a couple of times, I had to pay for disposal charges which the warranty didn't take care of, amounting to about $30.00. I paid $1400 for the Lexus and have the same warranty on my Mercedes which was $1800. To your point though, don't even consider a warranty that is inclusionary. You want your warranty to say everything on this car is covered except.... and it is a short list of things like oil changes, brake pads, shocks, etc. (just normal wear items)

http://www.mercuryselect.com/PlatinumInclusions.aspx

Hello,

My wife's 04 RX330 is nearing the end of the factory warranty. It has about 30K miles. I am looking for a good extended warranty and would like to get some suggestions.

Lexus is offering an extended warranty (7 yrs/ 75K miles) for approximately $1800 (after a $200 off coupon). I am yet to call warranydirect.com and the other warranty companies. I understand inclusionary and exclusionary type warranties etc., and that these things come with a bunch of complications and not covered items.

Thanks

Kamz

I researched the cost of third-party extended warranty coverage before buying my 330 in 2004. The deal the dealership offerred me was very close in price, and I negotiated a couple of extra years into it at no extra cost, I purchased it. I have never had a question or a problem with using it - the Lexus dealerships have all that info in their computer, and I've never been charged $1 for any of the minor repairs necessary.

Whether you would have that level of seamless service with a third-party warranty is something I don't know.

I was told by more than one person that the rear main seals are the most likely thing to need replacement under an EW, and the cost of that alone will pay for the coverage.

Hello,

Thanks

Kamz

I researched the cost of third-party extended warranty coverage before buying my 330 in 2004. The deal the dealership offerred me was very close in price, and I negotiated a couple of extra years into it at no extra cost, I purchased it. I have never had a question or a problem with using it - the Lexus dealerships have all that info in their computer, and I've never been charged $1 for any of the minor repairs necessary.

Whether you would have that level of seamless service with a third-party warranty is something I don't know.

I was told by more than one person that the rear main seals are the most likely thing to need replacement under an EW, and the cost of that alone will pay for the coverage.

Hello,

Thanks

Kamz

Where does one find Lexus warranty discount coupons? My local dealer has a take it or leave it Lexus financial set of warranty packages. Are you suggesting that the addition of a coverage can be negotiated?

Hello,

Thanks

Kamz

dealers offering an extended warranty for about $1800(7year/75k mile) means that they believe they can make profits with the price offered which means you are more likely to end up losing money.

Hello,

Thanks

Kamz

Where does one find Lexus warranty discount coupons? My local dealer has a take it or leave it Lexus financial set of warranty packages. Are you suggesting that the addition of a coverage can be negotiated?

There is a good sized profit margin in the Extended Warranties - as much as 50%. I was able to get them to give some of that up because I was also buying a $40k car. Whether you can exact that much leverage without buying a car is probably a bit suspect.