Brake Controller On 06 Lx470

HGL

Have a 2006 LX470 with factory hitch & seven-wire plug. Checked at the dealer & there is a trailer brake controller wired into the system. There is no adjustment or manual overide associated with it. Is this a timed controller, inertia or proportional? If it is a timed controller should it be replaced with an inertia type like a Prodigy?

Anyone with experience towing 5,000# with this factory controller, and is it satisfactory?

• 2 weeks later...
Have a 2006 LX470 with factory hitch & seven-wire plug. Checked at the dealer & there is a trailer brake controller wired into the system. There is no adjustment or manual overide associated with it. Is this a timed controller, inertia or proportional? If it is a timed controller should it be replaced with an inertia type like a Prodigy?

Anyone with experience towing 5,000# with this factory controller, and is it satisfactory?

To my knowledge, there is NOT a controller in the vehicle. If there would be, there would be some place to adjust the gain etc. I think you need to add one if you want electric trailer brakes. There is no mention of a factory installed one in any literature I have found. This is my third LX 470 and I have never seen any info on any of them about a controller.

• 3 years later...

To my knowledge, there is NOT a controller in the vehicle. If there would be, there would be some place to adjust the gain etc. I think you need to add one if you want electric trailer brakes. There is no mention of a factory installed one in any literature I have found. This is my third LX 470 and I have never seen any info on any of them about a controller.

I've heard in other posts on this forum that, although there isn't a factory installed trailer electric brake controller, the vehicle is PRE-WIRED for one of these controllers. However, apparently it's really difficult to find the wiring to connect the brake controller as it's hidden somewhere under the steering column/dash. My assumption is that it's pre-wired with the female connector and all one has to do is plug in the male connector from the electric brake controller...

Can someone/anyone out there confirm this and, if possible, provide a photo or details of where the wiring is located?

Thanks!