Ebay Keys

Anyone here using a remote/key purchased on ebay? They represent a significant savings over buying from the dealership and claim to be very easy to program to my car.

If anyone does use one, where did you get it cut? The locksmiths in my area claim that Lexus keys are "restricted". The ebay seller claims that the key can be cut with a laser.

Thanks

Curtis

I bought a replacement key off ebay for $40 (SILCA ITALY) and took it to a local locksmith. They actually BROKE two blanks (first mine, then their own) before doing the job successfully. When the key is cut, you can only open doors with it (it will not start the car). You have to 'program' the ECU for the new key - the instructions are usually included with they key blank. 3 minute job of pressing pedals in a proper order :)

If your locksmith can't cut them - find another one! Mine didn't use any lasers as far as I could tell.

I bought a replacement key off ebay for $40 (SILCA ITALY) and took it to a local locksmith. They actually BROKE two blanks (first mine, then their own) before doing the job successfully. When the key is cut, you can only open doors with it (it will not start the car). You have to 'program' the ECU for the new key - the instructions are usually included with they key blank. 3 minute job of pressing pedals in a proper order :)

If your locksmith can't cut them - find another one! Mine didn't use any lasers as far as I could tell.

Here is the frugal way that I did it. I ordered my key from Sewell Lexus online with a coupon code. You can try to locate the code here on this forum. It was about $50 each. This way the key is cut correctly at the dealership rather buy a blank key and pay someone to cut it. It would probably be about the same anyway.

You can then program the key by yourself by locating some instructions online here. I found the instruction a while back and it's accurate.

Good luck!

Anyone here using a remote/key purchased on ebay? They represent a significant savings over buying from the dealership and claim to be very easy to program to my car.

If anyone does use one, where did you get it cut? The locksmiths in my area claim that Lexus keys are "restricted". The ebay seller claims that the key can be cut with a laser.

Thanks

Curtis

I bought a key from Midwestkeyless in Illinois, thru Ebay for my 2000 ES300.

I got in on auction for $60 + $6 to ship.

They sent the wrong key, then just a housing to replace (with key blank).

Then a whole new key. That was the 'painful' part - it took time to get it right.

But they were anxious to get it right for me; I'd buy there again.

I took the key to the local lexus dealer who wasn't sure he could cut it accurately, but it worked fine.

The programming took me a couple tries, but it worked fine. Instructions were provided via web address.

I am now back to two full function keys.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Curtis

I bought a blank empty key off eBay and a precut key with a transmitter off ebay. I then combined the two and had the key cut locally, at the time, in Baton Rouge. Just call around, someone will do it. I then used instructions I found off the internet, the whole door slamming, knob turning thing and programmed the keys myself. I was pretty proud of myself over the whole thing. :)

• 8 months later...

Can you help me out here. I am stuck wiht only one key for my RX 330. ebay is offering un-cut keys with transponder but i cannot find a locksmith who can cut it for me. can you guide me !Removed! i understand you are in the same gta location. next ill have to look for the programming instructions.

Thanks

mahwash

• 2 weeks later...

Can keys be bought & programmed for a '92 (ES300) as well? I called the dealer & I am NOT paying $232 for the key plus $60 for programming!?!?!?!

If it were the newer fob, maybe - but the old basic fob, c'mon. Also, can the newer fob be programmed to my older model? I'm guessing probably not.

• 2 months later...

Can you help me out here. I am stuck wiht only one key for my RX 330. ebay is offering un-cut keys with transponder but i cannot find a locksmith who can cut it for me. can you guide me !Removed! i understand you are in the same gta location. next ill have to look for the programming instructions.

Thanks

mahwash

I had a blank key I ordered off ebay cut at 'Pre Lock'. They didn't even blink - no problem. It's located in North York near Steeles and Keele:

800 Petrolia Road

North York, ON M3J 3K4

(416) 773-5625

Can keys be bought & programmed for a '92 (ES300) as well? I called the dealer & I am NOT paying $232 for the key plus $60 for programming!?!?!?!

If it were the newer fob, maybe - but the old basic fob, c'mon. Also, can the newer fob be programmed to my older model? I'm guessing probably not.

92 keys are not transponder type keys. You dont have to program the keys to start the car, just the FOB to activate alarms or open doors.

I've ordered two keys for my mom's 03 es from Midwestkeyless (seller).

The quality of the keyblade is not as good as oem, but hey they only costed $20 shipped!

Most key cutters do not have the equipment to cut Lexus keys correctly, so make sure you find someone with experience on Lexus keys.

Fortunately enough, my keys were cut for free and they work perfectly :D