Newbie To Forum - Help Me By My First Lexus?

VikingLS

Hi to all, I am new to your forum. After having a long history of Toyota's (currently driving a 95 Avalon with 196k on it), I am in the market for my first Lexus - I have been looking at the LS400's from 1990 to 1996 which are in my price range. I understand the best scenario is to find a used one with one owner who was religious about maintenance, but waht are some issues with the 1st and 2nd generation I should know about before purchasing? Also I read that 90-94 engines are non-interference engine and therefore a timing belt failure will not harm the engine (but 95's will) is that true? Many thanks!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=11775 :cheers:

Check out that thread, i think you'll find everything you'll need to know, and them some.....

Hoosier or Boilermaker? Or.... God help me, Cardinal? Dad is a Cardinal, mom & brother Hoosiers, along with everyone else in my family.... except for me.... Tarheel / Seahawk!

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

Thanks so much! The one I am looking at is a 1994 with 128k, two owners. The car is north of Chicago so right now I am doing some long distance fact finding with pics and if it is worthwhile will make the trip. Incidentally, from the pictures this 94 has every single option available, including air suspension - it that something to worry about? Also, it is a dealer and since they took it in on trade and it had 2 previous owners how can I find out maint history? Lastly, they are asking 7500, Edmunds says 6700 - if I get them down to that is that a good deal?

BTW - Yes Hoosier, but gramdmother lived in Norlina, NC so am a big Heel fan to boot!

Air Suspension is usually a no-no on these cars, simply because the cost to repair them, and at that mileage I'm assuming they're getting close to needed repair, could cost upwards of 80% of the car's purchase price. My opinion is steer clear of air suspension.

Bobby Knight fan too?

good to know nc211, thanks!

Also, it is a dealer and since they took it in on trade and it had 2 previous owners how can I find out maint history? Lastly, they are asking 7500, Edmunds says 6700 - if I get them down to that is that a good deal?

Finally - used to be a Knight fan, until he really went off the deep end and couldn't recruit anyone worth a hill of beans. He is a tool now, just like his protege Alford!!

no air suspension please. Very problematic. You live in the north man. Cars are much cheaper from where you're from. Check NJ there are a ton of ls400's being sold on ebay from there. good prices too.

only 98+ ls400's have interference engines.