Ls400 Timing Belt. Whats The Longest Time/distance Run?

Erich

Stephanie did the timing belt and water pump on our recently purchased 1991 LS400. The car has 230k miles, and we purchased KNOWING It needed both. On the way up to the shop the belt snapped!

Upon taking it all apart we found all tensioner parts SIEZED! The pump SIEZED. I checked the casting date on the pump to find a 1990 mid/late casting. This tells me its most likely original, and never done. So basically this car went 230k miles on original belt!

The cars back together and you will be seeing more of it as its getting fixed up.

Stephanie did the timing belt and water pump on our recently purchased 1991 LS400. The car has 230k miles, and we purchased KNOWING It needed both. On the way up to the shop the belt snapped!

Upon taking it all apart we found all tensioner parts SIEZED! The pump SIEZED. I checked the casting date on the pump to find a 1990 mid/late casting. This tells me its most likely original, and never done. So basically this car went 230k miles on original belt!

The cars back together and you will be seeing more of it as its getting fixed up.

Wow, Erich, that is an incredible amount of miles for the original belt and water pump! Some parts can go incredibly long! Do you have any pics of the water pump? I have a 90 LS400 (108k mi), the previous owner claimed that the belt and pump was replaced. Not sure how to check once I remove all the engine covers. If you can take a pic of where the casting date is located, please post or send to me: dtsang@halff com. I would love to see photos of your belt job.

Thanks!

I would also love to know how to check the casting/date on the waterpump, as a car Im looking at has a sticker reporting the belt was replaced at 60,000 miles(101,000 kilometers) and want to verify if the pump was also replaced.

Casting dates are usually in circle or grid formation. Usually its 2 digits lik 89 90 91 92 93 94 00 03 04 06 There will be a a 9 for examble is 1999. A 0 is 00. Then there are a split pie in 12 partitions. These are usually marked...signifying month. This marking I found on the cast metal water pump was a 90 with a bunch of checks. Unless someone used OLD stock pump this is original. if it had been like 96 or later.. i would assume changed..

Casting dates are usually in circle or grid formation. Usually its 2 digits lik 89 90 91 92 93 94 00 03 04 06 There will be a a 9 for examble is 1999. A 0 is 00. Then there are a split pie in 12 partitions. These are usually marked...signifying month. This marking I found on the cast metal water pump was a 90 with a bunch of checks. Unless someone used OLD stock pump this is original. if it had been like 96 or later.. i would assume changed..

Could be a rebuilt pump.

Could be a rebuilt pump.

true, but i was not aware of these being rebuilt.

Could be a rebuilt pump.

true, but i was not aware of these being rebuilt.

Erich, can you send me any photos of your water pump/job?

dtsang@halff.com

Thanks!