Clunking Into Gear

I don't know how the staff feels about bringing an old topic back, but I have two questions:

1. Has anything changed for the 08 model regarding this transmission clunk issue?

2. How severe is the clunk? Is it a gentle sort of pull or push, or one that's harder like you'd find in a civic or corolla, or a bone-jarring thud that transmits through the entire car?

It is a definite "thud" that is FELT--not heard. It is strong enough to jar the entire car. It reminds me of the sensation one would get with a warn out drive shaft that allows a lot of "slop" in the driveline.

I put my car in neutral at long stops and flick it back into drive and no clunk. I think you guys are dealing with a design or assembly issue. I'm glad my 1990 is at least not embarrassing to drive passengers around in. That clunk and flailing around of the tranny during hard acceleration must be something your passengers really notice.

I hope you guys try returning your cars and see how that makes Lexus respond.

News Item "Flagship Lexus Sedans Returned by Owners" That would get their attention. :pirate:

I had the same problem. The dealer flashed the transmission controller firmware and the hesitation on startup is gone. I now have a random click that I think is a result of the new flashed transmission firmware.

Charlie Tuna

I have an LS 460 purchased in the end of December, 2006 that now has about 5,000 miles on it. I have generally been happy with the car but not 100%. After all, a car that advertises "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" is going to attract perfectionists...

I have been disappointed in the new 8 speed transmission. The biggest surprise is the abrupt "clunk" into fist gear when taking off from a prolonged stop. When I contacted the dealer regarding this issue, of course they were clueless. After two months of phone calls to Lexus, I find out the transmission is designed to "...go into neutral at a prolonged stop to save gas...and the clunk into gear is normal operation". Needless to say, I am disappointed. 70,000 dollar cars should not clunk into gear! If you are experiencing this problem and it annoys you as much as it does me--please contact Lexus and let them know. Evidently, if enough people contact them, they will consider revising the transmission programing...

And don't get me started about the "unsmooth downshifts" at highway speeds!

Thank you!