1997 Sc400 Bushings

I'm looking for a mechanic in Columbus Ohio. I have 1997 SC400 with 95K miles. It started making a "thud" sound when I apply the brakes the first and second time after I start that car. Then, it stops making the thud when applying the brakes. The dealer said I need to replace the control arm bushings and it would cost $2000. I saw front control arm bushings online for $159. Is there that much labor to replace them? Any help finding a mechanic who can replace them would be greatly appreciated. Or, even an idea to use the Toyota dealer. Any ideas?

$2000 is rediculous. tell them to take the arms and shove it!! the arms may cost $1000 but instalation should be more like $300. if you do get the bushings the labor will be a bit more because pressing bushings are kind of a pain. expect 1.5x to twice that.

I believe there is a Lexus part number for a bushing kit on 97 and up SC4's. I did not use the Lexus ones since mine is a 93. I bought two Ebay kits ($60 per kit) made for 92-96 and had them installed at the local shop for $320 labor and $30 alignment. It took 5-6 hours to change because the bushings have to be removed and pressed.

If you want to go with new bushings, one option would be to see if your local Lexus shop has the 97 and up bushing kits and find a trustworthy shop to perform the change.

Another option is buying the whole LCA from a Toyota shop (just give your local Toyota parts department the same Lexus part number) because they are half the price of what Lexus will charge you for the same part. Toyota wanted $280 for each LCA on the part that matched my 93, not sure what it would be for the 97. Changing the LCA out with new ones is much easier to do than changing the bushings, but the labor savings may not outweigh the extra costs.

If you do more research you will find all kinds of info.

Good Luck.