Rust - How To Treat It

luxury1

If you are talking about exposed steel such as suspension components and such then I use a product called

PreLube 6 which is:

"Pre-Lube 6 is a lubricant and anti-rust agent that is different from any other on the market. It is a polymer that bonds with the material it is penetrating. Pre-lube 6 dries without the glossy shine that is left by conventional clear coats, thereby keeping judges happy while keeping those natural parts from rusting!"

You can find it at:

http://www.quantaproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=05-10

I have a classic Corvette and most of the suspension components are unpainted steel. In the classic car world, those of us who like their cars original use products that inhibit rust without adding paint or other products that detract from its original appearance. PreLube 6 is my weapon of choice against rust. It has a pretty good reputation in my circle of fellow classic car owners.

If you are talking about some of the painted suspension components, I cheat. After a couple of years of ownership, when I am rotating the tires, I take a rattle can of appropriate paint and touch up those areas that show signs of rust. For instance, my 14 year old Acura still has all of the black painted suspension components that look good and have a fresh touched up coat of flat black paint.

Scrape off all of the rust with a small sharp metal object, then apply touch-up paint.

belive or not there is nothing you can do about rust is one of those thing once it start no matter what u do it wont leave you .. once again there is nothing you can do ... however .. as you all know .. some rust comes with the car .. i mean when it was build ...and there is no warrenty for that .. here is something you can do -- there is nothing u can do ---but yes .. you can slow it down .... by useing some product .. best would be ... scrap off the rust ... and then sand it out then go to autozone and get a rust converter (rust Fix) the best .. wait like 30 min and then match the paint on it ... thats the best way to do it ... there is no such thing is cure for rust .. simple is die or remove it okay ... after doing everything ... i will advice you put a rust control device .. wich willl .. really slow it down even if u rust .. i currently useing it and very happy ... .. if you want the product contact me ... however .. only if u serious .. abt car care ... and by the last thing ... american car will have rust cuz america is rusty. or made out rust lol ... max car without rust is 5 years for most car .. then i will gruantee 6 th year u will see rust some even earlyer .:P good luck !

If the rusty areas are just little rock chips, this is enough. Just as long as there isn't any O2 coming in contact with the metal, you'll be fine.

Rub the area with rubbing alcohol and heat up the metal with a blow drier before applying the touch-up paint. You want to make sure you aren't trapping any moisture under there.

Idk about rubbing the rust off, but definitely be careful not to touch the rust, especially if you have a scratch or scrape on your fingers or anywhere on your body to avoid getting tetanus.

In salty areas, don't you guys do some undercarriage coating, which I don't quite remember what the term is. I know in the Philippines you have to do it, and I use Tuff Kote Dinol brand. Had it done when the car was brand new.