Check Engine And Track Off Lights Intermittent On ?

dansawyer

All,

The vehicle is a 1991 LS400. The check engine and trac off lights come on and off together intermittently.

Is this a code? Does anyone know what it means?

Thanks - Dan

its all on sensor .. however ur sensor . displaying this ligh .. and telling u there is something wrong however try this first ... open the hood and disconnect the Both negative and positive .. cable from the battery and leave it for the whole night .. and morning or whenever ur ready to drive the next day put it back on and see if they gone ... if it does ur lucky if not or comeback then u need to diagonosis

Hello, and welcome...

The TRAC light will come on when the Check Engine light comes on, so it is the check engine light that is the clue.

Assuming you have not done any work (or had any work done) on the car, you should take it to an AutoZone and have them run the diagnostic code. It is probably something minor.

If there was some recent work done that confused the ECU, disconnecting the battery cable (positive or negative) does sometimes reset it and the warnings will disappear, as Sheab suggested. This just happened to me with my 4Runner after an oil change. I was driving it home when I noticed the Check Engine, VSC, and TRAC lights were all lit up. After the initial fuming, I checked the internet and found a variety of sad stories of people taking this issue to dealers and getting charged for several excuses/diagnoses, and a few that suggested disconnecting the cables, which is what I did, and the problem was solved.

But, you don't have to disconnect and leave them over night... 10 seconds will do :)