Turn Signal Problem

Purchased JDM Headlights off E-bay for 93 ES. Installed and noticed conections for turn signal were a little different. Instead of turn signals blinking at the side of headlight (1157 bulb normally) (Turn signal light is using # 168 bulb orange strip T bottom part of headlight. Is there anything that can be done to fix the fast blinking or get the turn signals to blink like when I had the original headlights in. Could it be the wire harness or just the headlight set-up in general because its from japan?

The fast flashing turn signal lamp is due to less resistance(ohm) in the #168 bulb. The only way to correct this is to measure the resistance of a #1157 bulb, and than add the proper resistance in series(in line) of your new setup. You need an ohmmeter to check this. A one watt resistor of the proper resistance should slow down this flashing.

The fast flashing turn signal lamp is due to less resistance(ohm) in the #168 bulb. The only way to correct this is to measure the resistance of a #1157 bulb, and than add the proper resistance in series(in line) of your new setup. You need an ohmmeter to check this. A one watt resistor of the proper resistance should slow down this flashing.

The low, dimmer, side of an 1157 draws about 0.8 amps. The high, brighter side, draws about 1.3 amps. 15 ohms and 10 ohms respectively. Due to low duty cycle you can probably get by with 5 watt resistor. And the load resistors MUST be in parallel with the lower wattage bulb. Resistor sets are available at autolumination.com

The low, dimmer, side of an 1157 draws about 0.8 amps. The high, brighter side, draws about 1.3 amps. 15 ohms and 10 ohms respectively. Due to low duty cycle you can probably get by with 5 watt resistor. And the load resistors MUST be in parallel with the lower wattage bulb. Resistor sets are available at autolumination.com

Why "MUST" they be hooked up in parallel? I just put a resistor in line(series), and it always worked fine. :unsure:

Why "MUST" they be hooked up in parallel? I just put a resistor in line(series), and it always worked fine. :unsure:

Lets say the old bulb drew 1.3 amps at 12 volts and the new 168 draws only 0.3 amps (I'm guessing). In order for the turn signal flasher relay to work properly the resistor must draw an additional 1.0 amps and you can't increase current draw by adding resistance in series, only in parallel with the 168 bulb.

Lets say the old bulb drew 1.3 amps at 12 volts and the new 168 draws only 0.3 amps (I'm guessing). In order for the turn signal flasher relay to work properly the resistor must draw an additional 1.0 amps and you can't increase current draw by adding resistance in series, only in parallel with the 168 bulb.

I think that there are more than 2 168 bulbs if the blinker is fast. Fast means more current draw. Means bigger or more bulbs. Adding resistance in series would then restore resistance and slow it down.

• 2 weeks later...

Found out reason turn signals are not working right. Like I said JDM headlights purchased off e-bay. Just thought i could install and plug in the harnesses. Found out theses headlights need and adapter harness just for the turn signals. JDM headlights use 168 bulbs in orange strip at the bottom of light for parking lights and the 1156 bulb just for turn signal. US headlights intergrate parking and turnsignal with a 1157 bulb. So now I have to locate an adapter wiring harness to make my turn signals work properly. Anyone with clue to where I could get these or had the same problem ? comments appreciated thanks

Found out reason turn signals are not working right. Like I said JDM headlights purchased off e-bay. Just thought i could install and plug in the harnesses. Found out theses headlights need and adapter harness just for the turn signals. JDM headlights use 168 bulbs in orange strip at the bottom of light for parking lights and the 1156 bulb just for turn signal. US headlights intergrate parking and turnsignal with a 1157 bulb. So now I have to locate an adapter wiring harness to make my turn signals work properly. Anyone with clue to where I could get these or had the same problem ? comments appreciated thanks

I've heard about the wiring difference. since you cannot get the harness, you'll have to modify yours. Can you swap the sockets to use a dual filiment bulb?

Maybe you can posts pictures of the 2 units

• 1 year later...

Alan (amf1932), I have the same situation with my 94 ES300. I bought used headlight assemblies on-line to replace the original ones that were fogging up do to water leaking into them.

The original HL assemblies only used the 1157 lamp. The replacement assemblies both have two lamps, a 168 parking lamp and a 1156 turnsignal lamp. On the back of the replacement HL assemblies, the power plug, and both lamp sockets are inserted into a thin tape like printed circuit board.

Please indicate exactly how and where you installed the resister. I am assuming that you must have cut one of the insulated stranded wires leading to the power plug on the assembly, and attached the resister there. If this is correct, please indicate which color wire we should attach to and what type and ohm rating of resister you recommend.

Thanks, Nigel