Is 300 Manual Transmission Problem

Rufus

I own a 2004 IS 300 with a manual transmission, which I purchased new in August 2004; as of today the car has approximately 20,000 miles on the clock. Since the winter of 2005 I have noticed that when the outside temperature is freezing or below the transmission is stiff and emits a grinding/rasping sound when I shift, either up or down, into second gear; shifting into other gears is fine. The dealer doesn't seem to know what is causing this, other than "it's cold out". What puzzles me is that this only happens when shifting into second and both the stiffnes and noise are not present when the temperature rises above freezing. Has anyone else come across this problem, should I be concerned, and what can I do about it?

I own a 2004 IS 300 with a manual transmission, which I purchased new in August 2004; as of today the car has approximately 20,000 miles on the clock. Since the winter of 2005 I have noticed that when the outside temperature is freezing or below the transmission is stiff and emits a grinding/rasping sound when I shift, either up or down, into second gear; shifting into other gears is fine. The dealer doesn't seem to know what is causing this, other than "it's cold out". What puzzles me is that this only happens when shifting into second and both the stiffnes and noise are not present when the temperature rises above freezing. Has anyone else come across this problem, should I be concerned, and what can I do about it?

Nothing more than a guess from a guy who knows nothing about what he's talking about....

Sounds like moisture in the Clutch Hydraulics.

If that's the cause, it would only show itself when the temp is below freezing.

I had issues with the hydraulics once in a different car.

The symptoms were stiffness and difficulty shifting to and from 1st gear only.

Other gears were easy.

:huh:

Try this:

When shifting to second, put the clutch all the way in, hold the stick in second and slowly let the clutch out. It should slide into gear. I have to do this for "reverse" when it's cold.

It may be a frozen dog tooth gear not engaging with the speed of the engine, particularly second gear until it gets to operating temperature. Cut and paste link below to understand what I mean.

As stated in the previous post, you should still be under warranty. Don't let them shove you off.

Hope this helps. - Good luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transm...d_transmissions