P.s. Noises

Okay, so just before winter I changed my p.s. pump (& alt.) which completely fixed my p.s. fluid leak issue. Engine bay has been dry as a bone ever since - and still is.

Problem is, I never was able to get to the p.s. screen filter in the steering rack solenoid to clean it out. And now (starting last week) I'm get ocassional p.s. pump noise when turning the wheel at a stop. It's the exact same type of low howl noise you get when the fluid is low. Usually before the car has been driven. But only on ocassion. It didn't do it at all when I started my car up this morning.

Strange thing is, my steering was looser this morning standing still than after the car got warmed up.

Any idea what may be causing the noise? btw, the fluid is topped off at the correct level.

You probably have air in the reservoir. To get it out, you need to bleed it by jacking the car up and opening the power steering cap and turning the wheels left and right, but CLOSE it when it is coming out, the car needs to be on when you are turning the wheels. That's what happened to me when my power steering pump was changed, it still had a loud noise coming out. If you don't understand anything, just reply and I will get back to you. Hope this helps.

You probably have air in the reservoir...

I don't know about that. I'll check, but I'd be surprised to find air in there - considering that I changed and bled all that stuff back in October, but haven't had any noises prior to a couple weeks ago.

Though, it's completely gone away now. I haven't heard anything in the past week.

It's the check valve on the side of the PS pump.

Small black cylinder with two vac lines coming out of it going to the intake.

It has a slider in the side that pulls in and out and allows more fluid to flow.

When it goes bad it sticks and causes noise, also it allows PS fluid to leak out into the intake as well as air to get into the system.

It's the check valve on the side of the PS pump.

Small black cylinder with two vac lines coming out of it going to the intake.

It has a slider in the side that pulls in and out and allows more fluid to flow.

When it goes bad it sticks and causes noise, also it allows PS fluid to leak out into the intake as well as air to get into the system.

Thanks, LLS. I'll check into that soon as I get a chance.