Sold My '92 Ls, Sad Day...

sv7887

Hi Everyone,

I finally had to sell my LS400. It was starting to need something every few months and the paintwork needed some TLC. I was looking at around 2-3K to fix this all, and even then there was no guarantee something else wouldn't go wrong. The MA Lex dealers were a bunch of ripoff artists and most independents didn't want to work on the car. I'm taking it really hard..It's strange to be so emotional over a car.

I leased a MB E350 as they offered me the best deal since my dad just bought one. It's a good car, and surprisingly reliable, but...It's not a LS...The Comand system is clunky and it lacks the sound insulation of a LS. To it's credit the paintwork is fantastic, driving dynamics are great, and jam packed with safety features.

Still after driving a LS400 for so long, I don't know..It's like eating a Subway sandwich instead of a Quiznos one. :P Something feels like it's missing. Maybe it's the familiar V-8 rumble that greeted me with the turn of the key, or the smooth shifting transmission. Perhaps it was the eerie silence in the cabin as I drove 80 MPH on the highway or the great stereo. Or maybe it was the smaller things like functional cupholders!

I find myself looking at used 98-00 LS cars. My dad had a 1998 LS for about a year or so (traded it for a 02 LS430) and I drove it a few times. It was very powerful and a fun car to drive.

Are there any posters here who upgraded from a first gen LS to a newer 98-00 one? What were your impressions? Do you think it's a worthy upgrade?

Part of the problem with a leased car is the mileage restriction. Plus I'm a car nut and can never have enough cars!!! I always have loved Jaguars, but I wouldn't trust one NOT to leave me on the side of the road!!

A Jaguar to me is that sexy supermodel that everyone lusts after. It turns heads, but high maintenance galore. A Lexus is like the faithful Girl Next door that is always there when you need her.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Sam