Michelin Mxv4 Plus Vs. Yokohama Avid V4s Tires

74KDD

Hello,

Michelin MXV4 Plus vs. Yokohama Avid V4s Tires

I recently purchased a 1993 LS 400, with 44,000 miles on it. It is need of some new tires soon, and I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Yokohama Avid V4s Tires?

By reading a lot of the threads, I see that many of you are pleased with the Michelin MXV4 Plus tires -- everyone has great things to say about the tire.

However, the Yokohama Avid V4s tires appear to be a better tire, according to spec's.

Also, Consumer Reports actually rate the Yokohama Avid V4s tire a little better than the Michelin MXV4 Plus tire.

Lastly -- the Yokohama is almost half the price of the Michelin tire.

But everyone is raving about the Michelin MXV4 Plus tires.

I am looking for the following:

• Long Treadwear
  • Solid Performance
  • Excellent Handling in Dry & Wet (rain) surfaces (we get lots of rain in the summer months)
  • I do not have to deal with ice & snow (what is that stuff anyway?)
  • Low Noise Level

Should I go with the reliable & trusty Michelin MXV4 Plus (which is not rated as high, and costs almost twice as much), or should I go with the less expensive Yokohama Avid V4s tires?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

74kdd

I had the V4Ss on my 96 ls400. Not too impressed. I bought them because of all the great reviews I read. They got noisy after about 10k miles and only lasted 30k. I was dumbfounded because most people had good experiences with them. I ended up getting new wheels and tires (20") with Toyo Proxes 4. I'd probably buy the michelins and call it a day.

• 2 years later...

I think I can shed some light on this old post for those looking for similar guidance. I am not a Lexus owner, but a fan of Lexus, and actually purchased my 2001 Millenia S new after a long look at a '98 GS300. The two cars are comparable in ride and comfort and performance.

I had this exact tire dilemma on tires. I was a faithful Michelin man and first went with the MXV4s because I wanted the best possible tire for my perfect ride. I was replacing the factory Dunlop SP-5000s which were good, quiet, nice handling tires, but they wore out too quickly (went through 2 sets in about 40k miles).

Any who, I had the Michelins installed based on the reviews. I was disappointed when the ride was noticeably more harsh (rigid) and NOISIER than the Dunlops, with marginal performance in improvement. I was very unhappy that my car lost its form yet glassy ride. With a good tire, the Millenia is dead quiet.

Well, that led me to search for a tire that was quiet, good handling, AND had a good mileage warranty. I had the shop replace the Michelins with the Yokohama V4s. What a difference! Tire was noticeably quieter, and equal in handling. On top of that, it has a long wearout warranty (something like 65k miles) I have had them on the car for a couple of years now and still have most of the tread.

After this experience, I started to question my longtime Michelin alliance. My 88 Mazda 323 has always had Michelins on it, and it has always been a noisy car. I put cheap tires on it once, and the ride was much quieter, but the handling was so bad, I returned them for the Michelins. But now am considering trying Yokohamas on it as well.

Moral: Michelin is not always the best tire, and you really should consider trying the Yokos.