Key Immobilizer

Phyllis

I own a 2001 LX 470 and a 2002 SC 430. The keys to both are remarkably similar - however, when you put the wrong key in the ignition, it locks the vehicle. I have done this 4X now: twice corrected by depressing the brake and jerking the steering wheel while turning the (correct) key in the ignition, once called for a tow to the dealership, but tow driver was stronger than I and could jerk the steering wheel, and once had to have dealership come to where I was stranded. I have also tried using the key in driver's door, turning multiple times and holding to the right for 45 -60 seconds (didn't work) and using the flat key (also didn't work).

Lexus told me to look at the key more closely (duh) or put nail polish on one, but I do this so fast I never look no matter what markings are on the key (the SC key has a trunk release, the LX does not).

I would hate to have to sell a vehicle to become a one-Lexus household for fear of being stranded.

Since I don't seem to be trainable to keep the wrong key out of the ignition, is there a way to disable this function?

Turning the wheel to unlock the truck has nothing to do with the keys or immobilizer , it has to do with the steering wheel locking pall being activated. You just turn the wheel the other way to release the pressure from the wheel and it will be freed when turning the key.

The 2001 LX470 takes a longer key & has a red panic button on the remote. The 2002 SC430 takes a short key & has a white car on the trunk release button. The keys may look & feel the same, but if you put the two keys together & look at them, you will see the difference & be able to tell them apart before inserting them into the wrong ignition.