1992 Es300

Anovice

I have never had a problem with the heater, including driving to work today is 25 degree temperatures. However, driving home the heater acted up. The car was warm for about 10 minutes with the temperature guage right in the middle. Always by this point the heat comes on with the fan mode blowing the air to the floor. Nothing. I changed the mode position to the vents and window and the fan went on high. I changed the mode back to the floor and the fan continued on high, albeit the air felt cool. I turned up the temperature and the heat felt like it was increasing, that is for a minute. Then it went cold and warm again.

A friend thought the problem may be the thermostat sticking. Maybe that is the problem, but what connection does that have to the fan and mode position? Maybe the thermostat was sticking in the beginning and for whatever reason when I changed the mode to the vents and windshield, the thermostat became un-stuck. But if that were the case, why cold air with the fan on?

Anyhow, I would appreciate some thoughts as to what might be going on. If you suspect the thermostat, I have two questions. Can I go to any local local parts supply place and purchase one or is it better to go to the local Toyota place for the part? And, what does it entail to change it? Thanks much, Anovice

Just got back in from taking the car out and noticed a few more things:

1. The fan/heat does not go on when the controls are in the automatic position, even when the engine is fully warm (not normal). When I change the mode, for example from the floor to the vents/windshield (far right mode), the system goes from automatic to manual and the fan/heat kick on.

2. After a few minutes on, the heat turns to cold air, back to warm air, back to cold and so on.

3. While this is happening, I noticed the temperature guage going from the normal middle between hot and cold to hot. In fact, at one point it went up almost to the top and settled back down at 3/4 which is still 1/4 higher than it mormally rests. Obviously this is not normal is 20 degree temperatures.

So, I have a problem, which not only includes the inability to keep the interior of my car warm, but also difficult to keep it from over heating. Even though I know little to nothing about cars, hopefully with your suggestions and a friends help, we can make a few attempts to fix the problem over the weekend. If not, hopefully I can make it to the shop on Monday without it over heating. Thanks again, Anovice.