H11 Fog Lights To Hid Conversion Kit

Hey, has anybody attempted to upgrade the factory H11 Fog Lights with a conversion kit... HID.

I have noticed that there are the traditional 35Watts versions as well as 50Watts versions in the marketplace.

Can the factory foglights handle the additional light, and be able to control the output?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. New to the forum and new owner of an 07 400H (silver with black interior, bells and whistles)

The factory fogs use 55w H11 bulbs, as you already know. So the wiring is in place to support the heat and load. Your issue is matching the color temperature to the headlights? The ellipsoid glass the "H" series uses on the fogs imparts a very uniform light pattern so that won't be an issue.

I have long used this brand in my other car, a BMW 540.

http://www.hoen-usa.com/guide2.htm

They manufacture properly color temp matched bulbs, including fog light bulbs. I use them in my BMW with the Xenon headlights, and my fogs match them almost perfectly. Previously they were yellowish as you indicated in another post.

So check them out. This is all they sell and mine have been in place for over five years with nearly daily use. Send them a note and see what they recommend. It's a simple as replacing a bulb (which can be quite a project on some cars!)

regards,

patrick

Well, I was originally going to go that route but found the cost of the halogen pseudo look HID bulbs to be expensive. So, I started to look into HID conversion kits and came across one that is not only HID but of 50 Watt capacity. I will be installing them on Monday and will have some before and aft pics.

Cheers,

MadloR