Noobe Checking In

flatsixcrazy

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Andy and I live in Ashburn, VA. I have been involved with Porsche 911s for the past 5 years and am a, somewhat, mechanically competent DIYer. I am contemplating on purchasing a particular used AWD RX300 (2001, 83K miles, asking for $15K). I have looked through the previous posts and picked up on the transmission problems of 99-2000 years. Would you know if the 2001s RX300 still have the same transmission problem, or did Lexus fixed it?. What are the other issues with a 2001 that I must look for, before the purchase?, and how DIY friendly are these cars?. Also, how are the RX300s on towing a 2000bls 911?. Also, what are the recommended service manuals for these cars?. Thank you all in advance for your help and I am looking forward to contribute to this forum in the future. Andy

I've read that the maximun towing capacity for the RX300 is 3500 lbs.

Here is a link to a thread regarding the transmission change for the 2001 model.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...8020&st=270

You can purchase a hard copy or pdf version of the factory shop manual to help you with DIY repairs. Working on the RX is not too bad and plenty of info is available on this site. You will run into the usual difficulties assiciated with working on transverse engines.

Good luck,

Kaz

Thanks Kaz,

We ended up with a Certified 58K miles 2003 RX300 from Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, VA, last night. The good news is that I don't have to fix anything major on it for the next 70K miles as it has extended warrantee. The bad thing is that I don't have to fix anything on it until it goes out of warrantee. I'll chase down a hitch and a st of service manual for it. Thanks again for your help. Andy

I've read that the maximun towing capacity for the RX300 is 3500 lbs.

Here is a link to a thread regarding the transmission change for the 2001 model.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...8020&st=270

You can purchase a hard copy or pdf version of the factory shop manual to help you with DIY repairs. Working on the RX is not too bad and plenty of info is available on this site. You will run into the usual difficulties assiciated with working on transverse engines.

Good luck,

Kaz