Factory Ml System Plays Mp3s Burned On Dvds?

• 3 months later...
I think it will work. People have done it with MP3 on burned CD's.

I'm interested in knowing this for the IS350's. Is anyone able to burn a DVD+R or DVD-R and have the ML system play it? When test driving a loaded gs450h the dvd i burnt with mp3s was unable to be detected, the same dvd-r played fine in a computer.

An alternate question is how well does the mp3 random mode work for mp3 CDs? Can you make play lists burnt on the cd to ensure the order of songs is performed and not by alphabetical order like I've heard the mp3's tend to be playing for the Mark Levinson upgrade?

I have an 06 IS350. mp3s burned to any type of DVD will not play in the ML system. only mp3s burned to at CD-R will play in the ML system. My sales guy told me that mp3s would play on DVDs but he had no idea what he was talking about. the convenience factor would have been huge though...

to answer your other question, random function only works within a particular folder on the CD. for instance, if you have created several folders from the root on the CD-R, the random function will only randomize the mp3 tracks from within a given folder. if you burned a cd that has no folders on it (ie all the mp3s files are on the root), then the random function will randomize all of those tracks.

Otherwise, the ML system will play the files in the order in which they were burned (which usually is alphabetical). The annoying thing with iTunes is that it burns folders for each artist and puts the track under that so the random function becomes very limited.

-a

I think it will work. People have done it with MP3 on burned CD's.

I'm interested in knowing this for the IS350's. Is anyone able to burn a DVD+R or DVD-R and have the ML system play it? When test driving a loaded gs450h the dvd i burnt with mp3s was unable to be detected, the same dvd-r played fine in a computer.

An alternate question is how well does the mp3 random mode work for mp3 CDs? Can you make play lists burnt on the cd to ensure the order of songs is performed and not by alphabetical order like I've heard the mp3's tend to be playing for the Mark Levinson upgrade?

I have an 06 IS350. mp3s burned to any type of DVD will not play in the ML system. only mp3s burned to at CD-R will play in the ML system. My sales guy told me that mp3s would play on DVDs but he had no idea what he was talking about. the convenience factor would have been huge though...

I have an 07, with ML, and that was one of the first things I tried, Nope it wants to see the DVD as a DVD and look for a movie. I was bummed because I had my whole collection on one DVD, but had to burn then on CD-R's, Your stuck with only aobut 150 songs per disk I'm afraid.

thanks guys, for the record I tested DVD+R DVD-R and DVD-RW burned mp3s and none work. There was this mp3 dvd disk mode that nero had that i just learned of, but it doesn't work in my home dvd player that plays cd mp3, so i'm guess that won't work either. Hmm, I thought i was the only one looking for this feature. It really is a software thing, that could be fixed with an upgrade if they were going to put all those dollars they spend selling the lexus everywhere. I think the reason they are only allowing CDS is that I've read the maximum number of mp3 songs on the CD is 255 (probably for the "random" remembering). I usually can fit 100 high quality mp3s on CD so that would make it about 650 per dvd and break the 255 per disk song limit. I have also read you can get the random mode to work with multiple CDs. I don't have the ML manual with me but It's on this site as an IS Forum sticky, that describes all mp3 CD random mode and the 255 song limit. I'm praying the 2008's will have a ML upgrade that allows DVDs and perhaps be backward compatible for the 2007s.