Rack And Pinion Stiff

gp1200x

I ordered a rebuilt rack and pinion to replace mine since I am not happy with the force required on the wheel to steer the vehicle. I removed the synthetic fluid and replaced with the proper fluid type, added some Lucas fluid but I do not feel like waiting to see if it helps resolve the problem. I have a feeling the synthetic fluid over the last two years may have caused the seals to harden up resulting the stiffer steering. The pump seems fine and I have flushed and cleaned the system. (The last time I had this problem on a 99 Mercury the rebuilt rack made an incredible difference....and the car was a joy to drive...could turn it using my fingertips which I could never do even when new!.)

My RX also veers to the right even after multiple front end alignments and tire swaps. No one can find the cause. I just repaired my antilock brake failure (wasn't causing any pulling problems), replaced my master cylinder (pedal would eventually go to the floor holding it down with moderate pressure after a while), removed and replaced my front strut mounts and removed and tested the back struts too....All the struts are fine with no leaks. I replaced all my calibers and installed new shoes too...calipers were warped slightly. So after all this I really should get an alignment too.

Here is my question....finally...I am going to install the rebult rack before the alignment. Has anyone ever had a rack cause their RX to veer slightly to one side? Looking at the design of a rack, it is hard to tell if the rack itself can cause unequal pressure and exert a slight force in one direction. The steering wheel itself does not turn by itself, but I feel that the RX seems to turn slightly easier in one direction. I am wondering if this may be the rack causing my veering problem.

Any comments or anyone ever have their rack cause this type of problem?