93 Ls400 Maf Sensor Gone Bad? Help Please.

93lexusls400

Hi Everyone, :o

I'm a new owner of a 1993 Lexus LS400. Everything was working great until the TRAC-OFF light and the CHECK ENGINE lights came on. Finally just the CHECK ENGINE light remained on. Then there is White "smoke" that comes out of the exhaust...I can't really determine what it smells like. When this happenes, the engine's power is greatly reduced and I have to really step on the gas to limp home. If I let off the gas the engine shuts off. I can get the car started if I give it lots of gas while turning it over.

My mechanic says he has narrowed it down to the MAF sensor and if that's not it, there's a remote chance that it might be the control unit? He found a (guarranteed) used MAF sensor for $350 and will charge $70 to install.

Do think He's on the right track? I want to be a Lexus lover, but right now I'm in shock after owning an 86 BMW 528e for many years without ANY significant problems. This was supposed to be my reliable car.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have a MAF sensor lying around that would work on my car?

I thank you in advance for your time and wisdom.

Michael

325-665-1259

Ask your mechanic what the code is for. He shouldn't have to "narrow it down" with a code, which are quite specific.

The trac-off light will come on when the computer gets a code - part of the engine management strategy, and it doesn't mean something else is wrong.

Cars break, even Lexus cars. Fix it and enjoy it.

If your mechanic has narrowed it down to a MAF sensor then I'd go with his/her result. A code doesn't mean that's the actual problem. Codes only help you in the diagnostic process....not something to soley rely on.

I have a 93ls also. Sorry to hear of your trouble. Read the diag. code. Do a search on this forum. There has been a lot of info on this in the past. Also some people have said that cleaning the MAF has helped. Also posted on this site. If you have any mech. ability. You can do much of this yourself. Look at TAP recycling for parts. A salvage yard in Calif. with toyota and Lexus parts. The MAF can be changed in about 10 minutes. If you don't know the prior maintance of your car. You need to look at new plugs, wires, caps ( there are 2 ) and rotors. While you have the car apart you should go ahead and replace the 2 coils. If fact this may be part of the issue with lack of power. These car will run on 4 cyls. be it slow.

Before you you do any tune up. You should look at cleaning the throttle valve and body. So you don't foul the new plugs. This will not solve the prob. but will help by using Seafoam injector cleaner on 1/4 tnak of gas. Or go for BG44K from the toyota/Lexus dealer. Will clean the injectors. This helped mine greatly. Also a simple task is to clean the EGR of any carbon build up.

The ECM (computer ) is around $1400.00 new. There are rebuilders around that charge $200.00 to fix. and one is $300.00 for a lifetime guarentee.

My 93 had 93,000k on it a year ago when I got it. I have spent prob. 6-7 hundred on it since. plugs, wires caps, rotors,coils, BG44K, seafoam, TPS, Cleaning the throttle body, new in line and in tank fuel filters. ect...

Am I unhappy? NO, this is a great car. Even if I spend an average of $100.00 per month. Where could I get any other car that is this great for that price?

Good luck!