Rear Susp Clunk

larryp

I have been trying to determine the cause of this clunk which comes from the rear suspension. I replaced carrier bushings and strut rod bushings which eliminated the high speed vibration that i had but did not cure the clunk. The best description is that it sounds like there is something rattling in the trunk (it's not). Only occurs over small bumps - if there is a big dip that causes a lot of suspension travel, i don't hear it. I'm thinking differential carrier bushings because i can see that one is somewhat deteriorated, but i'd like to hear your feedback. Could it be sway bar bushings instead? At 16 years old they probably all need replacing, but i'd rather zero in on the most likely culprit for this next repair. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

I have been trying to determine the cause of this clunk which comes from the rear suspension. I replaced carrier bushings and strut rod bushings which eliminated the high speed vibration that i had but did not cure the clunk. The best description is that it sounds like there is something rattling in the trunk (it's not). Only occurs over small bumps - if there is a big dip that causes a lot of suspension travel, i don't hear it. I'm thinking differential carrier bushings because i can see that one is somewhat deteriorated, but i'd like to hear your feedback. Could it be sway bar bushings instead? At 16 years old they probably all need replacing, but i'd rather zero in on the most likely culprit for this next repair. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

I get that too over smaller bumps, and when it is cold out I get a rather loud thud. Only when its cold out, so I'm guessing some sort of rubber bushing somewhere needs replaced.

I replaced the sway bar bushings on mine, and that didn't fix it. Those will make a nice annoying squeaking sound when they are worn out. But it's an easy fix and does improve handling a bit.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have any experience eliminating this "clunk"? Rattle might be a better descriptor. Best analogy is that it sounds like there's a metal rod in the trunk that bounces around when going over small bumps at speed.

have you checked the trunk for a small metal rod banging around in there? Like the spare tire equipment, specifically the car jack coming loose from it's seat? Mine came loose once, and before I hauled off and spent the money, by chance, I went for the jack to life up the car in the front "unreleated problem" and realized the jack had wiggled itself loose from it's seat. No more noise.

But, if I had to venture a guess or two, I would think upper balljoint on the control arm? They seem to be likely culprits at your car's age. I've also heard of the lower control arm's bushing in the hub going out. There is a thread on here from probably 4 months ago about the ASUS 530 buhsing repair kit for it. Like $40 bucks I think?