Rx300 Vibration

lenore

I have tried to isolate a vibration from the front of my 99RX with 133kmiles. I jacked the car up and could not feel any play in the wheels. However checking the Axle shafts seems real difficult to diagnose. I know the UV joints have a certain amount of play but I could not tell whether they are good or bad. By the Way the tires where rotated and balanced for this problem, but it did not fix it. The Steering rods seem tight also. I get a very small vibration through the steering wheel and a faint humming noise above 48mph to about 65 miles per hour. The axle play in the tranny feels the same as when the transmission was replaced about a year and a half ago. Any ideas anybody.

Be sure to check your motor mounts, starting with the "dogbone" motor mount on top of the engine on the passenger side. I hope that turns out to be the source because that's a cheap fix - you can purchase those dogbones on-line for less than $60. Good luck and keep us posted on this issue....

The motor mounts? I guess it could cause some vibration, The dog bone appears Ok, but from reading on the ES300 forums I know the rubber does break down. I will take a closer look.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to isolate a vibration from the front of my 99RX with 133kmiles. I jacked the car up and could not feel any play in the wheels. However checking the Axle shafts seems real difficult to diagnose. I know the UV joints have a certain amount of play but I could not tell whether they are good or bad. By the Way the tires where rotated and balanced for this problem, but it did not fix it. The Steering rods seem tight also. I get a very small vibration through the steering wheel and a faint humming noise above 48mph to about 65 miles per hour. The axle play in the tranny feels the same as when the transmission was replaced about a year and a half ago. Any ideas anybody.

I am a new owner of a 99 lexus RX and I am experiencing the identical problem that you described. If you ever find the source of the vibration please let me know! I will do the same for you.

Thanks

John

I spent last night checking the car out, The motor mounts all appear solid. The Ball joints tested solid with a pry bar as shown in a book I have. The Left drive axle appears to have to play in it where it attaches to the transaxle. The Right one had none. Does this appear to be a problem? If you hold the axle at the transaxle and turn the wheel there is also play in the joints, but the right axle also has this play. The only difference between the right and left is the movement of the inboard axle mounting shaft in the transaxle. I know I have had this a long time, but I dont know if replacing the axle will fix the problem. Any suggestions by anybody? I am experienced at changing half shafts as I have done three on a Nissan Sentra. The Local parts house has an EMPI axle for $89. Does anybody have any experience with the EMPI axle shafts? Lots of questions just dont want to throw money for nothing. .... :huh::huh: By the way the play I am experiencing in the axle is 90 degrees from the turning motion of the shaft.

I put this up on the board late last nite so I am reviving this post so hopefully some advice will follow. Good Morning Sacramento and the rest of the world.....