Beepbeepbeepbeep

mrbutz1

Hello friends.

My wife drove my '94 ES this weekend and returned it with a brand new sound I simply cannot figure out. After turning off the car, it's in park, brake on, etc..., open any door and immediately I hear beepbeepbeepbeep...beepbeepbeepbeep...beepbeepbeepbeep...beepbeepbeepbeep for like seven or eight seconds. Sounds to me like alert chimes I've heard from virtually every other car I've had when you either try to turn off and exit the car with the lights still on, with the ignition in the wrong position, or something like that. But NOTHING has changed in the car...it just beeps now every single time it's turned off...but not until the door is opened to get out. Closing the door does nothing, the beeping continues for about seven seconds.

Any ideas?

Hello friends.

My wife drove my '94 ES this weekend and returned it with a brand new sound I simply cannot figure out. After turning off the car, it's in park, brake on, etc..., open any door and immediately I hear beepbeepbeepbeep...beepbeepbeepbeep...beepbeepbeepbeep...beepbeepbeepbeep for like seven or eight seconds. Sounds to me like alert chimes I've heard from virtually every other car I've had when you either try to turn off and exit the car with the lights still on, with the ignition in the wrong position, or something like that. But NOTHING has changed in the car...it just beeps now every single time it's turned off...but not until the door is opened to get out. Closing the door does nothing, the beeping continues for about seven seconds.

Any ideas?

Check to see that your moonroof is completely closed, and also take your key out of the ignition.

Hello friends.

Any ideas?

Check to see that your moonroof is completely closed, and also take your key out of the ignition.

Moonroof. Looked completely closed from outside, but apparently wasn't. Didn't think to check as it's cold in Chicago.

Thank you sincerely!

lol i did the same thing when i first got mine. It started beeping and im like hmm, but my first instinct was to check all the windows, doors, sunroof etc. My 05 Altima doesn't tell you if you left it open and the 94 Lexus does. hmm.

you need to open it and close it again to seat the switch

Since we're on the topic...the wind noise from the moonroof (when closed) has gotten louder and louder to the point where I have to have the shade closed while driving above 35 mpg. Since I like having the sun come through the glass this is unfortunate. It's an old car and the seal does leak a bit under driving rain (or an automatic car wash)...but is there anything to be done to quiet it?

you need to open it and close it again to seat the switch

Since we're on the topic...the wind noise from the moonroof (when closed) has gotten louder and louder to the point where I have to have the shade closed while driving above 35 mpg. Since I like having the sun come through the glass this is unfortunate. It's an old car and the seal does leak a bit under driving rain (or an automatic car wash)...but is there anything to be done to quiet it?

The moonroof surround gasket seal is probably dried up due to age. The only thing I can suggest is to go to a Lexus dealer to check how much they would charge to replace it.

The moonroof surround gasket seal is probably dried up due to age. The only thing I can suggest is to go to a Lexus dealer to check how much they would charge to replace it.

I was afraid this was the response I was going to get. :P

Coat the seal with some meguires tire endurance wet look. It will coat it thick enough to seal the tiny gap. Other than that you need to have the sunroof aligned with shims. You cannot get a new gasket as it is sold as one price with the sunroof.

Also getting your car rust proofed will help close other small leaks which magnify the sunroof as an exit or entry point. Put it this way if the rest of the car was 100% sealed like a balloon then you would not hear the sunroof leak as it would not allow the air in and out. Usually the other door seals and trunk gaskets are leaking and can use the meguires stuff to help seal. It worked on my 94 ES with similar problems.

Coat the seal with some meguires tire endurance wet look. It will coat it thick enough to seal the tiny gap. Other than that you need to have the sunroof aligned with shims. You cannot get a new gasket as it is sold as one price with the sunroof.

Also getting your car rust proofed will help close other small leaks which magnify the sunroof as an exit or entry point. Put it this way if the rest of the car was 100% sealed like a balloon then you would not hear the sunroof leak as it would not allow the air in and out. Usually the other door seals and trunk gaskets are leaking and can use the meguires stuff to help seal. It worked on my 94 ES with similar problems.

Brilliant suggestion. I'll wait for another warmer than normal winter day here in Chicago and try this fix.

Thanks, SK.