Funky Noise On Cold Start

bgoldst

Only on a cold start do I hear this noise. She's a 92 ES300 with 149k and a new synthetic oil change as of last week. The noise comes from the left side of the engine and lasts about 30 seconds or so. It sounds like a squeal but I do not hear it at all when the car is warmed up. If I put it in reverse right after starting, I'll hear it, but it goes away right when I put it into drive. I've read the other posts about a similar noise on coldstarts and everyone says not to worry, but I'd prefer my car not making any noises whatsoever. According to my service records, the individual I bought the car from had the belts replaced about 40k ago. Do you think this problem can be fixed by tightening the belt or is it need of a belt replacement or pulley adjustment?

Yep, sounds like belt squeal... caused by the belt slipping and seating poorly. Once it heats up, it grips better, which is why the sound goes away. It could also be a bearing squealing, but that's usually constant and doesn't go away after heating up.

Update: Apparently I was wrong and managed to pinpoint the location of the squeal on the right side by the alternator. Any more advice? Which belt is that attached to the alternator? Thanks!!

Look for the alt then see the belt on it. The alt is in the front of the engine.

Look for the alt then see the belt on it. The alt is in the front of the engine.

I see the alternator, is the belt on this just simply called the alternator belt? If this is the cause of the squeaking how much should I expect to pay for a replacement to get rid of this awful squeaking sound?

I see the alternator, is the belt on this just simply called the alternator belt? If this is the cause of the squeaking how much should I expect to pay for a replacement to get rid of this awful squeaking sound?

Yes, I think there should be (3) belts. Not one hude belt.

Bro, Chances are the pully just needs to be tightened. This fixes it 90% of the time.

Alright awesome guys. Thanks for the help. I'm getting my O2 sensors and a new window regulator done whenever the parts come in next week so I'll make sure to show the mechanic where the noise is coming from and hopefully it just needs to be tightened up. Thanks everyone!

Bro, Chances are the pully just needs to be tightened. This fixes it 90% of the time.

Alright awesome guys. Thanks for the help. I'm getting my O2 sensors and a new window regulator done whenever the parts come in next week so I'll make sure to show the mechanic where the noise is coming from and hopefully it just needs to be tightened up. Thanks everyone!

if the belt is between 45 to 60K miles, it is gone. I new belt is like $10

It's just shy of 150k, and the regularly scheduled maintenance was followed by the previous owner so whenever the last required belt replacements were supposed to be done is when they were replaced. Are the belts on the alternator a quick job?

It's just shy of 150k, and the regularly scheduled maintenance was followed by the previous owner so whenever the last required belt replacements were supposed to be done is when they were replaced. Are the belts on the alternator a quick job?

I would tighten it first as noted above by scrub. I would also look for cracks on the belt. If lots of miles and or cracks I would replace. The problem is the belt is cheap. The labor if you do not do it, might not be.

Do you know when the belts where changed? I am guessing at 90K?

I would second the notion to just change the belt... unless you look at it and it looks brand spankin' new.

You know, there is also a spray you can use for squeaky belts... it just makes them a bit more tacky so they don't slip. I would just go ahead and change out the belt... it's cheap, and should be pretty easy to do. You may have just got a low quality alternator belt when it was replaced the last time.