Need Schematic For Power Trunk Release '91 Ls400

godpossessed

The first thing I would check for this problem is the infamous "broken wire in the driver's side wiring harness" factory defect. This is a very common problem on early 90's LS models. You can read numerous postings about the problem by doing a search.

Look at the driver's side trunk hinge. Attached to the hinge you will see a wiring harness. Pull this harness free from the hinge and remove some of the tape that will probably be wrapped around it. Look for one or more broken wires. The most common broken wire is white with a black stripe. This is a ground wire. When it breaks, it creates all kinds of strange electrical problems involving the entire car. It would seem odd to me that you only have one electrical problem if you do have a broken wire; however, I suppose it is possible.

If you find one (or more) broken wires, splice a short length of new wire into the space where the break was. The problem occurs because the factory-installed wires are too short. Opening the trunk apparently puts stress on the wires, and eventually they break.

My inside trunk release refused to work on my 93 LS several years ago. The problem involved this wiring harness. Other indications of broken wires in this harness include (among other things): (1) The "P" transmission gear indicator illuminating when the brakes are applied; (2) strange transmission behavior; and (3) a strange "grabbing" sensation when the brakes are applied.

Does anybody have one. Mine no workee and I can't find a dedicated fuse just for that item.

thanks

Mark

I hate to suggest this, but I am because this happened to me, but have you checked the keyed lock between the trunk & gas door releases? The first mechanic I had used to ask me to use the ignition key to lock the trunk from that lock, for security purposes, and I would supply him with the chauffeur key, which does not allow opening of the trunk or glove compartment. One day after I got it back from service, in a driving rainstorm, I forgot about it, lost my temper, :censored: and went outside to open the trunk with the ignition key, and got soaked to the skin. I wouldn't have gotten so wet if I had remembered to unlock & release the trunk from inside the car! :(

Does anybody have one. Mine no workee and I can't find a dedicated fuse just for that item.

thanks

Mark

I hate to suggest this, but I am because this happened to me, but have you checked the keyed lock between the trunk & gas door releases? The first mechanic I had used to ask me to use the ignition key to lock the trunk from that lock, for security purposes, and I would supply him with the chauffeur key, which does not allow opening of the trunk or glove compartment. One day after I got it back from service, in a driving rainstorm, I forgot about it, lost my temper, :censored: and went outside to open the trunk with the ignition key, and got soaked to the skin. I wouldn't have gotten so wet if I had remembered to unlock & release the trunk from inside the car! :(

DING, DING, DING!!! We have a winner! I dismissed that as a possiblity because the keyhole was vertically oriented, like always. I didn't know that it returns to this position reguardless of a locked or unlocked condition. Thank you sir!

Mark