91 Ls Starter Problem

JayN

Hi all - I am new to this forum. And I find the helpful participation of members very supportive.

Recently my 91 LS400 (138k miles) stopped starting. I do not use this car a whole lot but I start it up once a week and take it for a quick spin. Two weeks ago there was a lot of loud clicking as it turned over. Last week, it is just a click and then nothing. I tried jump starting suspecting the battery, but that did not do anything either. The cables were pretty hot, after drawing a lot of current. Can anyone please tell me if it the famous Gen 1's starter problem?

I appreciate the Lexus a lot. But I was ready to sell it after it started giving the problem. Now, after I started visiting this forum, I believe this is a car to keep. But I need to get it to work first -_-

Can anyone suggest a good, reliable independent mechanic in Atlanta area? Or would you suggest that this problem be fixed at the dealerships?

Sure do appreciate your feedback - Thanks in advance.

Have 213k on my 91 on original starter. They're usually pretty solid. I would make sure i eliminated the battery as the cause of the problem because a weak battery can exhibit the same symptons - and jumping won't help if it's the battery. Take it out and have it tested first before you go any further. Changing the starter is a big job because it's located under the intake manifold. If battery is OK, then take it to a good indie mechanic for the repair.

• 2 weeks later...

Have 213k on my 91 on original starter. They're usually pretty solid. I would make sure i eliminated the battery as the cause of the problem because a weak battery can exhibit the same symptons - and jumping won't help if it's the battery. Take it out and have it tested first before you go any further. Changing the starter is a big job because it's located under the intake manifold. If battery is OK, then take it to a good indie mechanic for the repair.

Larry,

You were absolutely right with your diagnosis. It was the battery. I replaced the battery and the Lexi starts up great.

Thanks a lot....