2002 Es300 Tranny - To Flash Or Not To Flash?

Thats pretty close to my experience. I think you'll be happier with it now.

The Lexus mechanic did give me the story about the drive-by-wire thing being the issue. His opinion was that the cars needed a faster computer to process the sudden changes the driver makes quicker.

I REALLY think this is the root of the problem, since this particular problem is not at all isolated to this particular Lexus model or transmission and the problem only exists on cars with the drive by wire throttle.

Even the all new ES350 still has this lag in there, even though its a lot less noticable then on ours. Most cars I've driven with electronic throttles have this hesitation in varying degrees of severity.

Interesting. The way the mechanic described it, he said that on deceleration the computer at some point makes a determination that you are going to stop, not just slow down, and shuts down the fuel injectors, etc (probably part of the ULEV tuning). However, when you step on the gas again, it takes too long (according to the mechanic) to decide to turn everything back on and accelerate.

Thats pretty close to my experience. I think you'll be happier with it now.

The Lexus mechanic did give me the story about the drive-by-wire thing being the issue. His opinion was that the cars needed a faster computer to process the sudden changes the driver makes quicker.

I REALLY think this is the root of the problem, since this particular problem is not at all isolated to this particular Lexus model or transmission and the problem only exists on cars with the drive by wire throttle.

Even the all new ES350 still has this lag in there, even though its a lot less noticable then on ours. Most cars I've driven with electronic throttles have this hesitation in varying degrees of severity.

As you guys probably know, I traded in a 2003 ES mainly because of the shifting lag, plus other annoying characteristics of this transmission. My ES350 transmission on the other hand WITH an electronic throttle, shifts like a dream from any speed, whether slow or fast, upshifts and downshifts with virtually NO shifting lag, plus the car ALWAYS picks the proper gear, without a fuss, nor any kind of driver intervention........what I'm saying is I don't have to nurse this tranny to do what a transmission is supposed to do in the first place! Suffice it to say.......I'm completely happy with this new 6 speed transmission. Today I had a car full of passengers on a 75 mile trip through city and highway, and they couldn't get over how quiet, smooth, and comfortable this car is.....without a rattle anywhere. I absolutely love this car....it's a complete joy to drive. :)

That's good to know. I test drove a G35 with a 6 speed and I was very impressed. I just couldn't find one that was clean enough for me. The Lexus is quieter and smoother than the G35 save for the transmission (though the G35 has significantly more power IMHO). At least I know that I don't have to rule a Lexus out next time. But, so far the flash is better so I will probably keep the car two years then move on.

Interesting. The way the mechanic described it, he said that on deceleration the computer at some point makes a determination that you are going to stop, not just slow down, and shuts down the fuel injectors, etc (probably part of the ULEV tuning). However, when you step on the gas again, it takes too long (according to the mechanic) to decide to turn everything back on and accelerate.

That makes sense to me.