P0446

camlex

For that error code, check the following things: vacuum hose, gas tank cap, and charcoal canister. If the gas cap is sealed correctly to the tank, then more than likely the problem is a bad charcoal canister. This can often happen when one pumps fuel and fills excess gas after the nozzle auto shuts off (in order to round up the dollar amount for the fuel). This happened to me before with my '01 ES (and I got the canister part replaced at a Lexus dealer).

What kind of Toyota does your friend drive, camlex?

Update: My mechanic pulled a diagnostic trouble code of P0446 which relates to a service bulletin regarding a "false M.I.L. 'ON' DTC P0446 on some 1999 year ES 300's". The bulletin covers a certain VIN range which mine happened to fall under. This calls for the addition of Vacuum Control Valve (PN 25852-20010) which requires .5 hours. My dealer ended up charging me for 1.0 hours. They said the job was a bit more complicated than originally quoted. After waiting an hour already I gave them the go ahead (incompetent mechanic I suppose). Anyway, the part cost $34.09. I'll keep the forum posted if problems persist.

Update: My mechanic pulled a diagnostic trouble code of P0446 which relates to a service bulletin regarding a "false M.I.L. 'ON' DTC P0446 on some 1999 year ES 300's". The bulletin covers a certain VIN range which mine happened to fall under. This calls for the addition of Vacuum Control Valve (PN 25852-20010) which requires .5 hours. My dealer ended up charging me for 1.0 hours. They said the job was a bit more complicated than originally quoted. After waiting an hour already I gave them the go ahead (incompetent mechanic I suppose). Anyway, the part cost $34.09. I'll keep the forum posted if problems persist.

This is from a post of mine on Oct. 20, 2006. I've driven over 1700 miles since the fix and no problems