So, What Wheels Fit Again?

blk_on_blk

Hey All,

So, I've gone through a lot of posts and searched the web to try and find what wheels will fit my 95 ES300 and what won't. I still don't have a clear view... SKPerformance writes, "rims 18 X 7 with a (+)40 mm offset is the biggest you seem to be able to go with no rubbing front or back without modifying the sheet metal to flare out". But then I look on www.tirerack.com and, using the "Upgrade Garage", they have 18x8 wheels with the +40mm offset all over the place to fit my specific vehicle. So, can I go up to a 18x8 wheel with a +40 offset and not have it rub? Or is the TireRack listing them, rubbing or not?

I've been pokin' around and there are people, like this guy -- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/441957 -- who are rollin' on 19"... I don't know if he rubs or not. But part of the equation doesn't seem to be just with the wheel diameter, but with the tire you put on it. You can put a bigger diameter wheel on a car with a lower profile tire and keep the same overall diameter, right? So, where does the rubbin' part come in? Just when the offset is wrong, or when the overall diameter is off, or both? Is the rubbing over bumps, or when turning the front wheels? The Tire Rack lists a bunch of 18x8 wheels, but then suggests a 215/45/18 tire... which is a pretty skinny tire for that wide of wheel, but Discount Tire also recommends this size. Wouldn't a 235/40/18 be a better fit, and still keep the overall diameter down? Speaking of Discount Tire, they show optional wheel sizes going up to 20". So, they list 20" wheels, but then only say the largest diameter tire is an 18"??? All the wheels Discount lists in an 18" are 7.5" wide and range in offset from +40 to +48. So, now I don't have much confidence what will fit and not rub and what won't. :huh:

Can anyone offer up their experience with buying +sized wheel/tire combos?? ...that would really help. Thanks in Advance!!

Hey All,

So, I've gone through a lot of posts and searched the web to try and find what wheels will fit my 95 ES300 and what won't. I still don't have a clear view... SKPerformance writes, "rims 18 X 7 with a (+)40 mm offset is the biggest you seem to be able to go with no rubbing front or back without modifying the sheet metal to flare out". But then I look on www.tirerack.com and, using the "Upgrade Garage", they have 18x8 wheels with the +40mm offset all over the place to fit my specific vehicle. So, can I go up to a 18x8 wheel with a +40 offset and not have it rub? Or is the TireRack listing them, rubbing or not?

I've been pokin' around and there are people, like this guy -- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/441957 -- who are rollin' on 19"... I don't know if he rubs or not. But part of the equation doesn't seem to be just with the wheel diameter, but with the tire you put on it. You can put a bigger diameter wheel on a car with a lower profile tire and keep the same overall diameter, right? So, where does the rubbin' part come in? Just when the offset is wrong, or when the overall diameter is off, or both? Is the rubbing over bumps, or when turning the front wheels? The Tire Rack lists a bunch of 18x8 wheels, but then suggests a 215/45/18 tire... which is a pretty skinny tire for that wide of wheel, but Discount Tire also recommends this size. Wouldn't a 235/40/18 be a better fit, and still keep the overall diameter down? Speaking of Discount Tire, they show optional wheel sizes going up to 20". So, they list 20" wheels, but then only say the largest diameter tire is an 18"??? All the wheels Discount lists in an 18" are 7.5" wide and range in offset from +40 to +48. So, now I don't have much confidence what will fit and not rub and what won't. :huh:

Can anyone offer up their experience with buying +sized wheel/tire combos?? ...that would really help. Thanks in Advance!!

the cardomain has to rub. width.

a 205/65 r 15 is stock, that is 25.5 dia. and 5.2inch side wall and 8.2 width.

the 235/35 r 19 is 25.5 height, 3.2 in side wall and a 9.4 width

i have 215/50r 17 25.5 height, 4.2 side wall and 8.6 width.

Thanks for the note, SKperformance. Yeah, I knew that was an older post and a lot has changed in the wheel world... I mean, factory rides are coming out with 20" wheels now.

I did find this interesting thread out in cyberspace... http://www.clublexus.com/forums/archive/in...hp/t-35464.html This is TireRack sponsored site (I think)... seems to lend some more insight.

I'm looking at a set of rims right now that are 18"x7.5" with 235/40/18 tires.... looks like they'll fit with no problems, depending on the offset. We'll see. It seems if the offset is kept between +40 and +45 (even +50 with the factory IS 17" wheels) there is no rubbing if the car isn't lowered.

I wish there was a nice difinitive guide on this stuff... hey, even a visual of the opening we have to work with and what the different offsets and diameters (wheels and tire combo) look like would help.

Thanks for the replies guys... it helps!

Here's another link with more info... Maxx941 is running 18"x7.5" and +38 offset with 225/40/18 and No Rub at all. http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252969

Just more info to guide everyone... Looks like the range of offset is +38 to +45 depending on wheel width and tire size? Looks like it's going to be a bit of experimenting to find the right fit with the right look before putting out the cash for the set.

Anyone else have an ES with aftermarket 17"s or 18"s to post pics of??

Here's another link with more info... Maxx941 is running 18"x7.5" and +38 offset with 225/40/18 and No Rub at all. http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252969

Just more info to guide everyone... Looks like the range of offset is +38 to +45 depending on wheel width and tire size? Looks like it's going to be a bit of experimenting to find the right fit with the right look before putting out the cash for the set.

Anyone else have an ES with aftermarket 17"s or 18"s to post pics of??

I have 2007 OE Avalon Wheels on my 92 ES300. They are 17x7 with a 235/45-17 ( Not listed as an option at www.tires.com

I see also that a 215/45-18 is listed as a plus 3 option, but that seems rather narrow. I bet there are many fitments NOT listed that actually do fit if you do your homework.

lexus1ww6.th.jpg

Thanks for the note, Pete.... your ride looks good with those wheels on it and that color. Very clean and nice!

So, here's what I did... in looking around and trying to find what fits, I came across a posting for some 18"x7.5" Alba Blaze wheels on Craigslist... the price was right, and they came shod with 235/40/18 directional Zexius tires on 'em. The seller said they came off an Toyota Avalon. He didn't know the offset, but he said his brother works for Les Schwab and said they'll fit for sure. So, I bought them. I looked them over, and there was no identifier to what the offset is, but they fit like a glove. Plenty of clearance in the strut location, no rubbing, line up right under the fender wells... fit like they were standard equipment, and that was with a 235/40/18 tire.

When pulling the wheels/tires off that were on the car when i bought it, I found they were +40 in offset. They are American Racing 15"x7" with Toyo Proxes 205/60/15's and those fit fine of the car (in the offset aspect... they were little skateboard looking wheels in diameter).

So, for those of you looking to see what fits, it looks like there is some variability in offset from +38 up to the factory +45 (and several people are running Lexus IS300 wheels, which I think are +50 offset). It also seems you can probably go up to a 19" wheels with the right width, tire profile, and offset. That opens the realm up to quite a few different wheel and tire combos.

Here's a few pics of the end result.....

post-34901-1165910948_thumb.jpg

post-34901-1165910980_thumb.jpg

post-34901-1165911064_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

I don't get any rubbing at all... what so ever. I've been exceptionally surprised with how nice and responsive the ride is. As long as you match the wheel offset and tire size, you should be good to go.